Need [would like] some opinions please.

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm getting the bug for a H/V Rotary table for my small mill. Are these Accura Vertex brands any good? I always had the impression Taiwanese stuff was fairly good quality.

AV RT.JPG

AV RT.JPG

I have one with a 3 jaw chuck and I love it. I think they are of pretty good quality. Mineddoes have a little backlash

I just scratched that itch too and even though the mill has not arrived yet, I am sure it will be a valuable and well used tool in my machining arsenal. An RT opens up a vast number of different options as well as enables some very precise placememts of different features. Once you get it and have it installed and use it a couple of times you will ask yourself how you ever did without on in the first place. Good luck and I believe the Vertex line is pretty decent quality wise too.

Bob

You may be able to adjust the backlash out of your RT,Charley. The handle with the worm gear swivels in and out of gear. Can it be swiveled into gear any harder? If not,can you do a bit of filing somewhere to make it go into gear a bit farther.

If all else fails,pump the rotary table full of peanut butter. Use it when the room is fairly cold for best results.

You may be able to adjust the backlash out of your RT,Charley. The handle with the worm gear swivels in and out of gear. Can it be swiveled into gear any harder? If not,can you do a bit of filing somewhere to make it go into gear a bit farther.

If all else fails,pump the rotary table full of peanut butter. Use it when the room is fairly cold for best results.
It hasn't been a big deal cause I usually go in one direction only but one I get back home I'll check it out

I've got a 6" Vertex, bought slightly-used a couple of years ago.

First thing I did out of the box was get the DTI and start measuring runout. Came out less than half-a-thousandth in every measurement, i.e. axial, radial, center bore, and surface.

OK then. Thanks for the input. I think I'll move forward on one.......

and then start looking at a chuck and back plate - dividing plates maybe? Oh boy - I knew this was going to get expensive. :whistle:

I got a new set of dividing plates for the Vertex, for something like $80 (5 years ago), from Hamilton Tool and Supply, in Beaver Falls, PA. -Pete

I saw a set on Ebay recently for $99.00 - it ended, but it will probably pop up again in the future...thanks for the name just in case!

Well, I received the Vertex unit a couple of days ago, along with a 5" chuck and back plate [sort of] from a seller on Ebay. R/T looks fine - chuck looks OK too, but I have not used it yet. No idea what the run out will be.

I got everything set for coupling them up, but it cost me 4 hours in the shop. Had to turn down the diameter of the plate almost .30 inches, which of course bit into the holes for mounting in the slots. No matter though, 'cause the holes were too far out [wide] for the Vertex table slots, and there was interference with the t-brackets and the lock down handles on the R/T. Anyhow, it was my first time turning what turned out to be a cast plate - what a mess that makes! I don't think I like all that powder and dust........:thinking:

Got it done in good fashion though, and then I fixed up the holes for mounting the plate to the table on the R/T. Now my only issue is finding some hex head cap bolts to fit the chuck. They are the goofy 5/16X20 [8mmX1.25?] thread size, and none were included......I did get 4 with the Vertex unit for the back plate mounting to the R/T.

All in all, a productive winter day in Wisconsin. :))

Last edited:
Back