Need to turn tungsten, HELP!

okent

Active User
Registered
I need to turn a small piece of tungsten down to .55 inch diameter and then bore a small hole.
The reading I have done tells me there are machinable varieties out there like a high density alloy or maybe even a copper/tungsten alloy.
Also only need about 2" length and maybe .650 diameter.
I have struck out on both a good handle on the best alloy and also a source.
Trying to find something with a density of 18gm/cubic cm or higher.
I have a 9x20 jet lathe.
The piece will serve two purposes. As a spacer and also a weight for a bolt/carrier system.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I need to turn a small piece of tungsten down to .55 inch diameter and then bore a small hole.
The reading I have done tells me there are machinable varieties out there like a high density alloy or maybe even a copper/tungsten alloy.
Also only need about 2" length and maybe .650 diameter.
I have struck out on both a good handle on the best alloy and also a source.
Trying to find something with a density of 18gm/cubic cm or higher.
I have a 9x20 jet lathe.
The piece will serve two purposes. As a spacer and also a weight for a bolt/carrier system.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I take it the mass is needed to regulate the cyclic rate of something? What are the other physical requirements other than a particular density?

Ray

Some tungsten is not too bad to machine, some of it is pretty tough. I have made a few parts of it, with 6-32 tapped holes. Hated that job. I still have a couple of pieces of 2" rnd I think.

I found that Ed Fagan has a good guide on machining it.

http://www.edfagan.com/litPDF/Machining_Guide_Tungsten_Alloys.pdf

I believe that's where I bought mine. There's not that many places who are big in it.

Exactly. I am working up a system to shoot lightweight training rounds in a semi auto rifle and currently am using a mild steel as a spacer made.
It sits behind the bolt so there is some compression force but the steel shows zero wear or cracking after about a thousand rounds.
The total weight of the system is too light causing early extraction and is ripping off case heads.
I added a temporary lead weight to the system and it functions perfectly so weight is needed.
Calculating the volume and weight of mild steel and weight of lead, tungsten is almost a perfect weight in the size of the mild steel part.

Exactly. I am working up a system to shoot lightweight training rounds in a semi auto rifle and currently am using a mild steel as a spacer made.
It sits behind the bolt so there is some compression force but the steel shows zero wear or cracking after about a thousand rounds.
The total weight of the system is too light causing early extraction and is ripping off case heads.
I added a temporary lead weight to the system and it functions perfectly so weight is needed.
Calculating the volume and weight of mild steel and weight of lead, tungsten is almost a perfect weight in the size of the mild steel part.

Well, that really sucks because if you look at the table of the elements, your closest alternatives are highly uncommon and/or expensive materials (Tantalum, Rhenium etc). If you were the DoD, I'd say, go ahead and fire-up the credit card at your local rare-earth element store... but I don't think you can afford a couple thousand bucks for a one ounce cube of the stuff.

Don't know what your application looks like but, I'd lean toward some other solution such as a spring, gas channel diverter etc...

Ray

I have found short rods of tungsten but just don't know what type to get for machining qualities.
I know the really hard stuff is an absolute waste of time but thought I would start here for some guidance.

Dumb question.
What is the density of standard carbide endmill material? Just thinking that it is a far more common item to find. Can even get tool blanks in a good selection of sizes.

Another idea would be to make a heavy metal cylinder and use mercury for the last few grams, like they do for weights in shotgun stock and mag tubes.
Pierre

Found something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten_carbide

To fit the weight requirement it needs to be between 17 and 19gm /cubic centimeter.
I don't mind the expense of a small piece, it's just got to be able to be turned and drilled in a reasonable manner.

Back