need to make more threads on a bolt

i would like to know more about threadstops also. would it help the op to use a spindle crank?

i would like to know more about threadstops also. would it help the op to use a spindle crank?
+1 That pic is so close to the action that I can't picture what's going on. Looks like it's on the cross slide?

Answer, It is not tottally necessary to really machine a thread stop, I used a C Clamp for years. Then I guess it was time for a real one after the
lathe got a paint job. It was machined on a shaper. Fortunatlly South Bends already have a 1/4 20 hole in the crosslide. If you dont, you will have
to drill and tap one. No law saying that It can even be made of wood. No scientific special skill needed for this. The greatest advantages of this
is internal treading or even boring. Threading takes your full attention, there is a lot going on and this gets rid of one less thing to worry about.
The operation for those who dont know, is you simply touch off adjust the screw (just a little) then zero the compound. So in this origional post,
you would pick up the thread move the crosslide into the root, set the stop screw, zero the compound: back off the compound move over to the unthreaded then touch off the compound and mark the dial 'sharpie' where it now is. return carriage start threading watching its tracking, into
a scratch cut on the unthreaded section. All should be well and proceed . Remember when the compound comes to -0- you are at the root because
the thread stop says so. I hope this helps and I explaned it correct, but this is what I do. For those wishing to test this, Put a c clamp
somewhere on the back side of the crosslide and try it, you will like it....

Oh I forgot to say, internal threading the screw is not needed unless you are threading in reverse (back side).....
sam

Back