Need to drill some sockets??

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to drill some Craftsman sockets to be able to put pins through them and my question is can they be drilled and what is the best method? I know they are pretty hard and don't want to go through destroying a bunch of my regular drill bits trying.
I came up with a crazy idea to pin a 17mm socket to my drawbar on the minimill and pin a 12mm socket to the vise. This way all I need to do is use the 3/8" ratchet to do all my tightening and untightening. :nuts::thinking:
Ed

If you use an impact socket it is easy to drill. Getting through the chrome on a standard socket is not as friendly.

If you want to use chromed sockets you'll have to grind the chrome off where the hole will go. I have drilled and tapped a few spark plug sockets for a set screw to keep them on the extension for those engine where the spark plugs are deep down in a hole.
Like said thou impact sockets would be easier.

I like your Idea... but I think I would use a small T-handle or even make an 'L' handle rather than an actual ratchet. You don't usually need the ratchet mechanism to turn it 1/4 turn.. and having to constantly change the ratchet from r to l would get anoying...

But again...I like the idea of one tool for all... so making them all standard is cool!

Carbide spade drills will get you through almost any material, just be careful when passing through as they tend to brake. Now you can try cerbide tipped masonry drill bits, just sharpen them correct angle and attack lip for the desired metal. They are cheap and will take better punishment than spade drills, though the produced hole will be out of Tolerance.
regards

Carbide spade drills will get you through almost any material, just be careful when passing through as they tend to brake. Now you can try cerbide tipped masonry drill bits, just sharpen them correct angle and attack lip for the desired metal. They are cheap and will take better punishment than spade drills, though the produced hole will be out of Tolerance.
regards

We hobby machinists must often think outside the box and this is a near perfect example complete with warning that the hole won't be dimensional within but the loosest of tolerances. keep the center and angles, grind nearly square cutting edges. Low speed heavy feed and DON'T stop.

Steve

Although I've never actually tried, I would imagine a solid carbide 135° drill (starting with a solid carbide center drill or use a spotting or stub length) would break through the chrome plating fine. When I was drilling the hardened flange nut to pin for my drawbar, I was unable to drill through the hardened surface, it just dulled my cobalt drill. I then used a solid carbide drill to get through, resharpened the cobalt drill, & was then able to drill through fine.

Am I missing something here, why not just use a racheting box wrench? :think1:

What I am trying to do is come up with ways to decrease the amount of tools laying around for the machines. The vise uses a 12mm wrench. If I use the handle that came with it and attach it then it gets in the way of the wheel for Y axis on the mill.
The drawbar uses a 17mm wrench. Also this is another tool. If I were to put a 17mm 3/8" drive socket on the drawbar and pin it and were to put a 12mm 3/*" drive socket on the vise and pin it then all I would need is the one 3/8" drive ratchet. It would make things a little easier for me being I am disabled since my Chiara Malformation brain surgery. To many things laying around causes a little brain overrun and confusion.
Ed

Rather than drill either socket, why not clean the inside of each socket and the hex they will go on and put a lump of two part epoxy in the socket and press it on. The epoxy will harden in a few hours and can be removed in the future by heating the socket with a heat gun.

Back