Need to cover the top of a curved sign

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
The sign at the entrance to our neighborhood is about five by five foot square and the top is rounded about 18 inches above the ends, one smooth curve on top.

It is made of wood about 2 inches thick and is painted. The top is starting to break down because it is exposed to weather. I plan to make some type of cap for it.

I was thinking about getting some U channel aluminum and notching it along its length then bending it over the curve. About an inch channel.

Does anyone have any other ideas to make a curved "Cap" for the sign?

I live in Arizona and wood takes a beating here. I have had luck with using rolled copper flashing. You can purchase it from most roofing supply houses. It is easy to work with simple metal shears. You can secure it with copper nails or a high quality construction adhesive or silicone. I cut it about 1/8" wider and longer than the wood, secure it then peane the edges over with a block of wood. When the copper gets a patina it looks very nice. The same can be done with aluminum flashing which you can paint to match the sign color. Just make sure that you etch the aluminum chemically so that the paint adheres. I have a gate I used this on about 6 years ago and it is holding up very well. I can send you a picture if you want an idea of what I am describing

You could use a piece of black poly 2" id or 2 1/2" id underground water tubing the right length and cut the inside of the curve straight ---and stretch it open to fit over the wood---it should hold up very good to weather and not expensive--a few stainless 3" bolts would hold it in place--it could be painted to match the sign or the black color may look ok as is----Dave

You could use a piece of black poly 2" id or 2 1/2" id underground water tubing the right length and cut the inside of the curve straight ---and stretch it open to fit over the wood---it should hold up very good to weather and not expensive--a few stainless 3" bolts would hold it in place--it could be painted to match the sign or the black color may look ok as is----Dave

That sounds like a good idea. I'm open to anything for this. Thought of metal first but vinyl might be better. I like the copper top idea.

Sign shop said they would do it for $800 if we took the sign down and brought it to his shop to work on then replace ourselves. Or $1200 if he had to come and take it down and bring it in. Our association could afford that but an in place plan is just better and I can do something myself for less money and effort. But want to know I have the best idea so posted up here..

There are some good material suggestions here. As a design suggestion, any roof , even a very narrow one, needs a bit of an overhang with a low point at the edge. The last feature is referred to as a drip break. It causes water coming off the roof to bead up and fall clear of the wall below it rather than be drawn into the wall by capillary action. Make the top out of copper or aluminum about 2" wider that the sign thickness so it overhangs 1" each side. When it is securely in place, peen it over as brav65 suggests, but stop when it is bent 30 to 45 degrees. Don't bend it over tight. If you want a deluxe job, get a strip with rolled edges made up.

I'm in the design end of the window biz. We call this feature a drip cap, and one is set over every window frame when properly installed. They are aluminum roll formed or extruded, and the metal department will have a rolling machine to bend the lineal to fit the top of curved windows. Elliptical tops are especially interesting watch as they are bent.

A very good primer for painting aluminum is Zinc chromate.It is bright yellow.Used mainly in aircraft industry.
My 0.02
Ariscats

Back