Need threading, boring bar recommendations

Whenever someone asks for an unusual requirement we think "can the part be designed differently"? My thoughts here

Tell us more about what you are trying to make.

The bars that I pictured in my prior post are 3/8 and 5/8 OD. The 3/8 bar uses round 1/8" HSS tool bits and the 5/8 bar uses square 1/4" HSS tool bits. The threading bar is 3/8 OD.

Why does it need to be threaded the whole length?

Last edited:
Well it may not have to, I'm in the planning stages. Got all the books, read a lot of what I could find online and have been thinking a lot about it.....just thinking bout different ways to do and go about it. Be Prepared!
It will be a long process. All bout learning

That's great.
Part of the learning process of how to build things is learning what is even feasible to build. When people find out that I have a couple machine tools, they have all these great ideas of things that can be made out of unobtainium requiring tooling that doesn't exist. I smile, because I always had similar ideas right up until I started to try to make such things.

Absolutely right.....I say you always have to have a dream. I'm 72.....slowing down a bit but still going. I've had two full careers with gunsmithing school 3 years in between. I now live in a very, very small town in Montana. There isnt a lot of work here and most folks are on the low end when it comes to money....so I've yet to charge for my work, hunting season is on us so everyone wants something done so i keep busy but i love it and when i go down to local watering hole in town i rarely have to buy my own beer......and im always dreaming and thinking....its a great life.

If you need a boring bar for the outer tube of a can, start with tubing and machine the internals from each end. Quiet parts typically don't need tight tolerances on the inside. The fact that all the fancy stuff that people machine on CNC and sell for $2500 each has surely got people thinking that a device needs to look like that to work. Nothing could be further from the truth. Knowing a lot about devices is one thing, but knowing a lot about noise is enough to see that it's all smoke and mirrors, there's no need for anything more than simplicity. No stress!

I have run long bores with an underweight boring bar many times out of necessity. Boring with a wet noodle is still feasible if you do two things- one, make finishing passes from head to tail. Especially when threading. Two, make many spring passes. The reason you cut from inside to out is once you set the preload on your tool (skinny tool is flexing already), it will hold that point pretty well. If you go outside in, you get much more of a bellmouth shape. Then take a spring pass or four.

If you find a good deal on one, get a carbide boring bar. There is no comparison, they're a completely different animal than steel. If you are working against a blind bottom, the ones that have the inserts that cut edgewise are nice.

Thanks pontiac.......i was wondering just how important the inside tolerances are. Im thinking it all comes down to whats on the inside the baffffles

Back