Need the name of a tool

NoShopSkills

Active User
Registered
I have a small wooden storage box that came with my mill. In it are two tool steel shapes, one is square and the other is hex. Both have bores in them and very slight tapers at both ends. I assume they are used in conjunction with the cam lock devices (more on that below), to close a collet on round stock, thereby making it easier to position for duplicating or at least referencing the respective shape of either square, or hex, while maintaining the same reference as machining progresses.

This tool set has a few large thread on devices with a cam draw lever, but they are large female threads. The bores seem to be too big for my R8s, although they catch at the very widest lip. I assume it either wasn't meant to be included with the machine, or I just don't know how to use it properly. For that matter I don't even know what it's called, so I dont know what to search for.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the tool on Ebay, but I still don't understand why it's was with the mill I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5C-COLLET-BLOCK-SET-SQUARE-HEX-RINGS-COLLET-CLOSER-HOLDER-/131063836625

Like the auction says-5C collet block set.

Used to hold 5C collets for various operations, including milling a round shaft to a hex or square shape(by rotating the block in the milling vise between operations)

Like the auction says-5C collet block set.

Used to hold 5C collets for various operations, including milling a round shaft to a hex or square shape(by rotating the block in the milling vise between operations)

Yeah thanks, I just found a similar thread and some videos on how to use them. Are they also made in R8? It'd be nice to use the same set of collets that I already own, rather than buying 5Cs too

I've never seen them in R-8, but they may be available.

PM me if you are interested in selling or trading the 5C set.

5c allows material to pass through the collet while r8 does not.

This allows longer material to be used in the 5c collet block.

an r8 collet block would be seriously limited in material length that it could be used with.

I'll be second in line if youre selling ). but I think you'll find them very useful

I have a small wooden storage box that came with my mill. In it are two tool steel shapes, one is square and the other is hex. Both have bores in them and very slight tapers at both ends. I assume they are used in conjunction with the cam lock devices (more on that below), to close a collet on round stock, thereby making it easier to position for duplicating or at least referencing the respective shape of either square, or hex, while maintaining the same reference as machining progresses.

This tool set has a few large thread on devices with a cam draw lever, but they are large female threads. The bores seem to be too big for my R8s, although they catch at the very widest lip. I assume it either wasn't meant to be included with the machine, or I just don't know how to use it properly. For that matter I don't even know what it's called, so I dont know what to search for.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the tool on Ebay, but I still don't understand why it's was with the mill I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5C-COLLET-BLOCK-SET-SQUARE-HEX-RINGS-COLLET-CLOSER-HOLDER-/131063836625

I use these on the mill all the time, a quick and convenient way to index parts when you want to mill a flats on two, three, four or six sides.

My vote is that you hold onto them and get a few 5C collets for them. 5C collets come in round, square and hex.

Walter

Back