Need some thoughts on this craftsman 101 . 07403

customchris

Registered
Registered
I was told it was a 10" lathe but I am so new to metal lathes.. I was going to buy a grizzly but I found this one for $850 .. did I get taken for my money.
any info on this lathe would help.. where to get a 4 jaw chuck and steady rest. if ebay then what would fit as far as models that are the same.

DSCF2142.jpg
DSCF2143.jpg
DSCF2145.jpg
DSCF2146.jpg
DSCF2147.jpg
DSCF2152.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2143.jpg

DSCF2145.jpg

DSCF2146.jpg

DSCF2147.jpg

DSCF2152.jpg

Looks ok, all the handles on the apron / compound are not original. They look good though. It's a 12" swing lathe so that's a plus. -J

I really need to know what would be a good 220v single phase motor to put on it that the original pully would fit on. It has a 3 phase 3/4 hp. I would like to get a 1 or 1.5 hp on it.

1 1/2 HP might be a bit big for that lathe, 1 HP should be more than enough. If I remember correctly, 3/4 HP was the recommended motor for that lathe. I had one just like it a long long time ago. Take a look at the Frame Size on your existing motor, it should be a 56 or maybe a 182. Match the same frame size in a single phase motor and the pulley will fit.

As far as motor go, Dayton, Baldor, Iron Horse are all good brands. Make sure what ever you get is reversible. Another option is to put a VFD on your existing motor. pretty inexpensive way to go.

The recommended motor for was 1/2 HP. The maximum rated was 3/4 HP. 1 HP is unnecessary on any 12" and will probably break something. 1-1/2 HP will make it much easier to break something. Especially as the owner of such a machine probably doesn't know what he is doing.

If you must run a 1-1/2 HP motor, gather up $5000 to $10,000 and go buy a decent used 16" and properly outfit it.

I have never understood why some people insist on putting over-size motors on small machines. Perhaps they think that a larger motor will make them a better machinist. It won't. If you can't do good work on a 1/4 HP 4", you will be even worse on a 3 or 5 HP 24".

Robert D.

I'll second Jim and the VFD option. My Atlas is a 1ph 120v motor, and it seems so jarring to turn it on at higher spindle speeds. The VFD on my mill and the one I just sold had a much softer start and so much program-ability. So much so I've often considered getting a 3ph motor/vfd for the lathe. That plus the adjustable speeds mean threading speeds could be super-super-slow if you wanted.

And I'd suggest 1/2 or 3/4hp as plenty big enough for these lathes.

-Ryan

Thanks its not the motor that came with it .. I did not know about the gears being weak ..Thanks Guys! I just bought a static phase converter off ebay I am going to keep the 3/4 horse that is on it.. I bought a taper attachment and a steady rest too..

Congratulations on your acquisition!
I would not have paid more for that machine, but you didn't get taken, either.
As Tool-In-The-Box noted that is a 12". Two immediate clues: The raised Tool Rest and the Craftsman label. AFAIK Craftsman never sold an Atlas 10", only 6 and 12.

You made a wise choice getting a phase converter for the motor. VFD is next.

Clean it up nice and put it to work!

Spiral_Chips

Thanks its not the motor that came with it .. I did not know about the gears being weak ..Thanks Guys! I just bought a static phase converter off ebay I am going to keep the 3/4 horse that is on it.. I bought a taper attachment and a steady rest too..

Here's a snap shot from an Atlas Catalog about Motors:

NOTE: the Heavy Duty is 1/2 HP. - so I would agree with the previous poster who said 3/4 is just going to help you break parts faster.

Motor.jpg

Motor.jpg

were you lucky enough to also get the change gear set with it? It looks like a nice lathe to me, I believe all that craftsman stuff was made by atlas.

Back