Need Some Knowledge On A Cincinnati Dividing Head

Keith Foor

Registered
Registered
Well, I started looking over my new dividing heads. Started with the Cincinnati (think it's a 10) anyway, it seems to ahve either been dropped (it's real heavy) or the plate brake was engaged and someone tried to run a helix with it and broke the brake arm. It's cast iron, so some proper jigging and a bit of brazing and it will be right as rain. Issue is that there is a secondary shaft under the main input shaft that has a locking sleeve on it that I can't budge. I have the locking screw out, I have tried pulling, tapping, beating, heating. It don't move at all. It does have a second half depth hole in it that I thought may be for a spanner wrench, but that didn't bear fruit either. I have to disassemble this thing to braze it up correctly. Some one already put some sort of a bubblegum weld on it that didn't hold. But near as I can tell they never bothered to take it apart to fix it right. It does have what seems to be a key in it, but could the shaft wtill be threaded and I need to approach it as a thread on sleeve? Any one in the know that would share some knowledge would be a big help here.

Thanks is advance.
Keith

Figured it out sort of. I fought with it for a couple hours tonight and took drastic steps. After all it's a 1.25 inch diameter sleeve so easiest thing to do was split it with a cutter and knock it off the shaft. It was indeed threaded on and was not moving at all so now it's off and will need remade. Not a big deal. Got the cast iron part off and brazed it up and will be cleaning that up tomorrow along with the rest of the divider and begin applying finish (paint) to it and getting it squared away.

good job Keith---persistence pays off----Dave

Well I wish I would have worked harder at trying to unthread the sleeve but, I have the equipment to make a new part so I will just do that and be done with it.

Glad to hear you got it apart. Some things are just stubborn. What a great dividing head that will be when you finish repairing it.
Cheers
Martin W

Back