Need some insight

chargerman111

Registered
Registered
I am thinking about purchasing a 1985 Crown 13x40 gear head precision lathe , but can not find any info on the Web on them. Just wondering if they are a decent lathe? Made in USA? Any info would help me make a decision. Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Can you post a pic? possibly a Okuma made in japan ? just a guess:boxed in:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. The guy is asking $1800 for it. ?

That's not a bad price depending on condition. They are a Chinese lathe sold under MANY different names including Jet.

As long as it is in decent general shape you should be good.

Additionally, there are MANY videos online on what to look for when you go visit a new potential lathe. I would strongly recommend watching some, especially if you are inexperienced.

I happen to be a fan of the Tom Lipton one but they all have good tips.

Last edited:
The vid is great! It will help me out big time when I go look at this lathe in person next week. Thanks Eremius. And it does come with some tooling and 4 chucks 2 three jaw and 2 four jaw. Plus an Alores tool post holder with three 1/2 tool holders with a variety of indexable tools.

The tooling is important, as you can tie up big money in it just to get running. Sounds like a good deal. Hope she looks good!

The tooling is important, as you can tie up big money in it just to get running. Sounds like a good deal. Hope she looks good!
Thank you. Ya never know with used equipment. I hope the previous owner takes care of his machines like I do.lol I consider them family when I own them.

Back