Need some ideas, help adapting a drill press

liteace

Registered
Registered
Ive picked up this drill / mill jig press, its not the best but its a start

IMG-20211105-WA0024.jpg

Ive also pick up this old, hardly used electric drill, as its old its got decent bearing in so I hope it can take a bit of sideways force

2.jpg

what I want to do is mount the drill, after a strip-down onto the drill press

20211115_101349.jpg

There's a couple of problems Ive run into and need some suggestions as to what to do, the drill press is designed to take a 42mm drill unit

7.jpg

the collar on the drill is 50mm but does unscrew, its left handed thread

20211115_101132(1).jpg

What I would like to do it get a new collar machined up that longer and stepped down from 50 to 42mm I dont think thats going to be an option due to the left handed thread, next thought was to machine large piece with 50mm bore, 3 or 4 thread bolt holes to hold it to the 50 mm collar, stepped down to 42mm to fit into the drill press, if I done that I then need a chuck extension

20211115_181518.jpg

Do chuck extensions exist, shall I make one, can I get a tapered fitting for this so I can use the chuck from my emco 8,, all suggestions please

Thanks

Stop with the large drill. It will not be a good match to that table.

Instead look for Dremel size tool but something with stout bearings and continuous running.

It will do better to that table work.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The problem with boring the clamp to 50mm is there's not enough on the drill collar for a good bite to hold it on place + I dont think there's many machine shop that are capable of doing work like this here.

The 400w spindle motor, how would I mount it, its 52mm, has that got enough power to also be used for drilling or will that struggle

I wouldn't necessarily abandon the drill you have. In my opinion it could work!
Just realize the limits:
1) Use it carefully! The torque from that big drill motor may be more than the drill press column clamps were designed for. If a drill bit cutting edge catches the work piece before the other it could try to spin the head (or the table) around the column. I would not use hole-saws with it!
2) the speed of those big universal motor AC drills is very difficult to control with the trigger alone. Perhaps a simple and cheap motor speed controller would help. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-C...router+speed+controller&qid=1637067288&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Pukido-220V-...r+speed+controller+240V&qid=1637067880&sr=8-2

Just be sure it is rated for the proper voltage and current of the drill motor!

Can you make a replacement clamp block?
Grab a square chunk of aluminum in the 4-jaw chuck of your emco-8, drill and bore to 50mm.
Then drill and tap for the locking screw and split it from the middle of one flat face to the thru hole with a hacksaw.
There's your new clamp block.

How does the existing one attach to the drill press?

Good Luck! ............and please let us know what you decide to do.

-brino

Last edited:
I think I am going to use the old large drill for the time being, later Im thinking of getting a small used milling machine so dont want to spend to much on this, as I said, I know its not going to be up to much but its a start,

Ive got cheap motor speed controller on order

Heres how the existing clamp attach to the drill press

its adjustable, you can see the clamp just to the bottom right behind the set square

20211116_135154.jpg

If I pull the cheap plastic indicator dial out the way, this is what is behind

20211116_135200.jpg

Ive not completely dismantled it yet so dont know what holds that in, this is the bottom of the clamp, its a cast piece and not solid

20211116_132843.jpg

I put a socket in the clamp just to check its alignment, I need to adjust the table a tiny bit but I'll do that after the modification has been done,
this side near on perfect

20211116_165925.jpg

This side a little bit out

20211116_170103.jpg

The only thing that might be a problem is the collar on the old drill, its only 13.5mm

20211115_101257.jpg

and the clamp on the stand is 30mm

20211115_101219.jpg

If I make an adapter, I might have to clamp it to the drill collar just to give it that little bit of extra grip, what do you think

Last edited:
That socket could be tapered. I doubt any socket manufacturer would spec that.
Do you have a piece of accurate shaft you could check with?
Maybe turned, ground and polished = TPG shaft, or drill-rod/silver-steel, or even turn a piece to act as a gauge on your lathe that you know the dimensions and taper of.

Also, I'd check right at the vise or table if possible, not on that piece of white plastic in the vise.... we don't know that it's not tapered too!

-brino

....and that clamp piece is more complex than I originally thought.
With it being hollow obviously there's no way you could bore it out.
-brino

I think what Im going to do to start is get a lump of aluminum, one end bored out to 50mm to take the collar, with 3 threaded wholes for clamping, the rest turned down to 42mm to fit in the clamp, large hole through the middle for chuck extension, the chuck extension, I might, depending on what I can find is support that with a bearing as with the extension there will be more load on the existing drill bearing

Back