Need some help spending my March 2015 budget! Help a newbie out! Thanks!

I have just gone through the mill purchase process. I started off looking at the LMS Mini Mill then went on the the GO704 then the G0759, then could not stand the wait time for the Grizzly so I got a Precision Mathews PM-25MV. Machine is great, typical Chinese shortcoming, poor paint, incorrect adjustment... The machine is cleaned up and adjusted and runs great and is very quiet with the belt drive. The Mill, DRO and similar tooling that Dave mentioned above put me very close to $3500. Give Matt a call to see if he can offer you some package pricing on a Mill/Lathe combo. The PM45 looks like a great mill and is very popular. Good Luck!

I think the 0722 spins to slow, I don't see where all the money is in it when compared to others. The 0762 is nice but the price difference between it and the 0755 seems high when you lose the stand. You could easily add a VFD and 3 phase motor down the road as situations permit. I would suggest doing all you can to get a DRO on both right out the gate.

BTW, when Coolidge reported his trouble with the motor mounting and pulley I promptly inspected mine and found all in order. Obviously someone was having a bad day but it doesn't seem to be the standard.

Dave

The g0722 tops out at the same speed as the geared RF45 clones, yes it could be better if faster, but depends on the material. When I asked about the low speed, I was told you can still cut alot of material with this machine. My BF-30 goes to 3000 rpm, but the head gets too hot and it sounds like its going to explode. The G0762 looks interesting also. Lots of choices, unfortunaly QC is a major issue with many of these machines when you start reading postings.

The G0755 rf45 clone will hit 1970 rpm with a 1720 motor. Put the 3600 rpm motor and VFD Coolidge is getting on his 12z and it would be impressive.

Dave

I was pretty excited about all the G0722 features but one of the things that scared me off was all the electronics, just what is the life expectancy of those boards and components.

g1.jpg

g1.jpg

The G0755 rf45 clone will hit 1970 rpm with a 1720 motor. Put the 3600 rpm motor and VFD Coolidge is getting on his 12z and it would be impressive.

Dave

Are the bearings rated for that speed though? I know CO changes the bearings in all their mills, they are rated for 7,000 rpms. Just saying I looked seriously at the G0755, if only it had more X and Y travel I needed 25x10.5 for one of my projects.

So it looks like I will be getting a rf45 clone and a 12x36 lathe, unless a great deal on used equipment falls into my lap. At least now I can cad out my garage space and prepare for next march! Quick question about the g0750. Is the gear box with it similar to the one on the pm1236? I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just wanted to take advantage of the knowledgable audience. Thanks!

No matter who you go with or what you get if you are going to buy from one source ask for a package deal, free shipping, through in some things for free. and don't be afraid to hang up, you can always call back later and place the order. Also I'm not sure that you need 7000rpms for a home hobby shop Not knocking a machine that can do this or saying it could not be used, just saying is it that important for a home hobby shop. Also I would like to know where 7000rpm would be used. The last thing I would add here is DROs are nice I have them on my mill. best thing I did for it no more counting turns of the crank. I do not have DRO on my lathe The only place on it where I realy wish I had it is on the carriage. The point here is they can be added latter as can a roto table if needed. Also remember you will soon have a machine shop where you can make alot of your own tools. Things I have made and seen guys make Like roto tables, ball turners, roto broaches, vises, angle plates it can all be made over time. For sure you will need a good selection of end mills, a good set of drill bits, some hss blanks (a grinder if you do not have one) Some cheep brazed lathe tools as you will destroy some of these learning. some mics, calipars, vise, Clamping set, parrallel set, reamers, edge finders, center drills, boring bars, an er collet set or end mill holders, DTI, DI, Squares. these are what I consider must haves. I would also add taps and dies. I'm sure there are some must have that I did not think of and I am sure others will bring them up. Be sureto keep 500 for the few things you realize you missed. Good luck and have fun. When you get set up we will all want to see pics of the shop and your projects.

Are the bearings rated for that speed though? I know CO changes the bearings in all their mills, they are rated for 7,000 rpms. Just saying I looked seriously at the G0755, if only it had more X and Y travel I needed 25x10.5 for one of my projects.

I have no doubt that the bearings will take the rpm. Maybe a little concern about the gears but if I thought there might be an issue a belt drive would be fairly easy to do.

So it looks like I will be getting a rf45 clone and a 12x36 lathe, unless a great deused equipment falls into my lap. At least now I can cad out my garage space and prepare for next march! Quick question about the g0750. Is the gear box with it similar to the one on the pm1236? I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just wanted to take advantage of the knowledgable audience. Thanks!

The gear box on both of these was the decision maker for me. I wanteda finer feed and the ability to cut all american threads without deali g with change gears. I'm glad I did the G4003G. Im all over the place with threading.

Dave

Back