Need some advice on a Little Milling machine

What is the difference between a MVN and MVI machine. I found the MVI machine a little closer and is a little cleaner but no power feed and really not tooling. I was just wondering what the difference was. The only difference I can see from the pictures is that the MVI has power feed, and the MVN does not but this could be something that was just added. Ive tried to look up the specs of both but but not having alot of luck.

I made the deal on the MVI it looks like the old "checks in the Mail". So we will see. Now the work starts getting the old girl home.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

271c7875e54dc98d729393011c4c0ffb.jpg

271c7875e54dc98d729393011c4c0ffb.jpg

What is the difference between a MVN and MVI machine. I found the MVI machine a little closer and is a little cleaner but no power feed and really not tooling. I was just wondering what the difference was. The only difference I can see from the pictures is that the MVI has power feed, and the MVN does not but this could be something that was just added. Ive tried to look up the specs of both but but not having alot of luck.

I made the deal on the MVI it looks like the old "checks in the Mail". So we will see. Now the work starts getting the old girl home.
I previously owned a 1966 MVI, and now I own a 1967 MVN. I think I have seen newer and older machines with both model numbers. There is an old option and price list in the BurkeMills Yahoo group files archive, and it shows all of the myriad options that were available, but does not mention MVI and MVN models at all IIRC. It also has a registry by serial number, model, and owner. So, I have no clue, and unless I am missing something, there is no difference in the models, and how it is configured is purely a matter of what options were ordered with it and what has been changed since then.

Edit: If you do not get a definitive answer here, it might be worth asking your question on the BurkeMills Yahoo group.
Second edit: A serial number like 671234 means that it was the 1234th machine built in the year 1967. My MVI was serial number 661091, and my MVN is s/n 671265. Your 67562 is right in there...

Last edited:
Looking for a manual for my MVI Burke Mill. Does anyone have a one I can get a copy of???

Several manuals are available for free download on the BurkeMills Yahoo site in the "files" section under "vertical mills."
Thanks Bob I looked at them and I think it is a good start really would like to find a exploded parts manual that shows how it goes together or what is expected when I take it apart. But I've got to get them down loaded and printed then I will know what I've got or dont have.
Thanks again for the tip

Bill

Thanks Bob I looked at them and I think it is a good start really would like to find a exploded parts manual that shows how it goes together or what is expected when I take it apart. But I've got to get them down loaded and printed then I will know what I've got or dont have.
Thanks again for the tip

Bill
I think those are the best you will find, Bill... There is really nothing that difficult to work on, and there is help available both here and there if you need it.

Back