Need nomenclature name

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
What would you call a tube with two spring loaded end rods like the telescopic gauge pictured here?
I want this tube/rod piece but without the handle and square section.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    874.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
Question is what do you want it for?

well it's called a snap gauge (complete) not sure what the tubular section is called.
tubular gauge? I don't believe it has a name.

Would be really hard to use for measurement without the handle.

IF and I say IF, it is just the telescopic end you need, and need as a replacement, I beleive that is referred to as the "Head".. Could be wrong, but that is my understanding of it.

As for what you are asking specifically, I have no idea what you would call a telescoping barrel without a handle with integrated locking mechanism.

I believe he's looking to source a small tube with two spring-loaded ends, and NOT looking to measure anything.
He's probably just trying to figure out what to search on McMaster-Carr or similar for off the shelf parts.
Brian

Edit:
I see things like "spring plungers", that might be a useful term....... maybe add double ended?!?

2nd edit, perhaps this:
https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-us/double-ended-spring-plungers-brass-metric-618-206

Last edited:
I don't call it a snap gauge, which to me is applied to micrometers that have a spring-loaded anvil and are used for measuring thickness in a production environment. Like this:

SnapGauge.JPG

I call what you have pictured a telescopic gauge, used for measuring bores. But you can't have it without the handle, because the handle carries the threaded rod that locks (at varying levels of friction) the telescoping ends. Without the handle, you can't lock the telescoping section at the inside diameter of the bore. At least I've never seen one.

Rick "has seen bore gauges that uses threaded rods instead of spring-loaded telescopic sections" Denney

I believe he's looking to source a small tube with two spring-loaded ends, and NOT looking to measure anything.
He's probably just trying to figure out what to search on McMaster-Carr or similar for off the shelf parts.
Brian

Edit:
I see things like "spring plungers" might be a useful term....... maybe add double ended?!?
Wristwatches use something similar for securing straps to watch cases and they are called "spring bars". But they will be at most 2mm in diameter and 24mm long.

Rick "need more info about application" Denney

Back