Need info before buying a new mill

ChipsAlloy!

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, from a new member. I have been gathering info on different machines for a good while now and I am leaning towards a PM machine.

Im interested in the PM45PDF model. I will add DRO, x axis powerfeed and maybe (whats your thought on that) the variable speed motor.

Now I have seen the PM932 witch looks quite similar. It seems it comes standard with the x axis power feed and a motorized head. Weights more but has less table capacity than the PM45 (?) Are there other noticeable differences between the two models?

Also, to other Canadians who bought their machines from the USA, what kind of fees should I expect for shipping the mill through the border?

I may have more questions that I will add in the thread later

Wow I haven't ordered my mill yet but I can't wait to see it in my home shop!

Thanks for your time

I really like the Precision Mathews machines. So far they are a lot of machine for the least money and Matt does a great job trying to maintain great quality and keep the prices as low as possible. He can add the dro's before he sends it to you and I would definitely do the variable speed motor from the outset because eventually you will have to replace the motor and then you will have the expense of the controller, motor and the time involved to make the swap. It is cheaper to get it as an included option in the beginning I believe. It is also much more versatile so it is a win win if you ask me. I would give Matt a call and talk to him about what he has coming in and when he expects them to arrive and get a plan together as soon as possible. I know when he gets a container full they go pretty quickly, and some are even sold out before they arrive. So it is a great idea to get your name on the list for a machine as soon as you decide which one you want. Matt will definitely try to help you and recommend a good machine to meet your needs.

Bob

Hi...

Here's a quick line up...

They're fundamentally the same machine but, the 932 has changes in the castings to accommodate the Z power feed.
The hand feed capacity on a 932 I believe is actually greater than the 45. The motorized feed is indeed a slightly shorter travel.
The 932 is not factory available in a variable speed model whereas, the 45 can be ordered with variable speed. The extra weight of the 932 is due to the extra motors for power feed. Other than that, the base unit is the same "ruggedness" and style.

I can try to get info about shipping to Canada... Check your messages so I can get some specifics...

Ray

Given the info you both gave me, my choice is clearer. I will go for the 45 in order to have the variable speed. I can always modify it later to have the head up/down motorized.

Ray, any info about shipping to Canada would be truly appreciated. My researches, as for now, have not yield much results. But im not done yet!

I heard some «horror stories» about duties on large equipments shipped. Just want to make sure I will not end up paying the machine value in fees of all sorts. After all, I want to buy some tooling.:yikes:

Just tossing this out there... You can always add the Variable speed to 932 if you want to do it yourself. It is possible because it's a simple single phase setup. I'm trying to convince Matt to offer this as an option he will do at his warehouse.

FYI: Matt has received several cargo containers of equipment and he's busy processing it. As soon as he finishes this batch, another will come right afterward. He's going to be a little difficult to reach for the next few days...

Ray

PS: Here's a real story for you... Someone ordered a large lathe from him and called EVERY SINGLE DAY for several weeks wanting to know if it's on schedule. Matt processed his machine (it needed after-market add ons), stayed up until 2:00AM working during the last heat wave. He arranged to have the truck pickup the lathe the very next morning. The machine was delivered within 24 hours. Matt called the guy to make sure it arrived safe and sound... The guy said yes but, "I won't have a chance to uncrate it for a week or two"...

Given the info you both gave me, my choice is clearer. I will go for the 45 in order to have the variable speed. I can always modify it later to have the head up/down motorized.

Ray, any info about shipping to Canada would be truly appreciated. My researches, as for now, have not yield much results. But im not done yet!

I heard some «horror stories» about duties on large equipments shipped. Just want to make sure I will not end up paying the machine value in fees of all sorts. After all, I want to buy some tooling.:yikes:

A couple of months ago I ordered $340.00 worth of tooling from the States. This was shipped by Purolator. They would not use any other shipper. Purolator charged me $107.00 import duty as well as the GST.
Will be checking more closely in the future. Would be cheaper to go and pick it up and pay the duties at the border. This way you are your own importer.

Stan

Wow! You had to pay 1/3 the price of your stuff just to import it. I hope it wont be the same with a 5k$ milling machine or it might become a no-go:scared:.

There is a 5% Canadian sales tax called GST. The seller has to collect it and pay it to Canada.

There is an $80 bond fee which is a paperwork fee levied by and paid to the Canadian border authority.

There is an optional bond broker fee (usually about $150) paid to a service who signs for the items when they reach Canada and promptly removes the item from the Port Authority property thus avoiding any storage fees. From there, it goes onto the delivery truck. It is possible for the customer to serve as their own bond broker (But I do not know the procedures involved in doing that) and save themselves the ~$150 broker fee.

In the case of Precision Matthews, some machines might have free shipping or, a modest shipping fee -or possibly a small fee if liftgate service is required. If it can be shipped to a place with a loading dock or, if you can pick it up from the dock yourself, you will not need liftgate service. Liftgate service will deliver it to your house and set the crate on the property but, unless you slip the driver some money, they will not move the crate into a building or residence.

Ray

I have ordered from the US in the past and have had the UPS rip off. If I can I always use the USPS for shipments. You pay the duty but no brokerage fees.
I have recently purchased from Grizzly and DRO PROs and have had great luck with the shipments. No unexpected fees or charges. Just delivered to the door.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

And thanks to Ray for digging lots of info with PM trying to clear the shipping details.

Work is in progress :)

Back