Need help with tooling ID for 10" Atlas lathe

aforsman

Active User
Registered
This question got buried in the thread where I showed my finished restoration, so I will repost on a new thread with hopes that someone will actually see it :)). This tooling came with my great-grandfather's 10" Atlas lathe. Can anyone identify the pieces and what they're used for? I reoriented them a little between pics for better view.

Thanks,
Allen

20130925_194519.jpg20130925_194419.jpg

20130925_194519.jpg 20130925_194419.jpg

According to Tony's LatheUK site, the table is a:

"Simple but very useful Boring Table 7" x 7" designed to replace the cross slide and fitted with a fully-adjustable vice: - jaw width 3", jaw height 1-5/8", opening 4-5/8"."

You also have a wood lathe style tool post (missing the part you'd rest a gouge against).

Not sure about the two "Centers" type attachments, but the dovetail appears to match the cross slide of atlas lathes.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page10.html

check the old metal working machinery site too

Matt

Very good. I also googled "lathe boring table" and came up with this pic:

S3500009.jpg

From this pic and from examining the base, it actually replaces the compound on top of the cross-slide. I can see how this might be very useful. I'll figure out the other stuff eventually if no one else chimes in. Thanks!!!

S3500009.jpg

Hello,
I'm pretty sure the other 2 pieces are for turning and undercutting commujtators on armaturesd for electric motors. You still need the actual cutter that used to be available. If you ever want to work on motors.

I'm pretty sure the other 2 pieces are for turning and undercutting commujtators on armaturesd for electric motors. You still need the actual cutter that used to be available. If you ever want to work on motors.

Thanks. Now that I know what they possibly do, I've tried searching for information to no avail. I found a couple of Atlas accessory catalogs at vintagemachinery.or, but can't find any such animals in there. I even tried googling "Atlas armature accessory" and similar phrases. All that I can find is a motorized attachment that fits the 6" Atlas. Baffling.

This question got buried in the thread where I showed my finished restoration, so I will repost on a new thread with hopes that someone will actually see it :)). This tooling came with my great-grandfather's 10" Atlas lathe. Can anyone identify the pieces and what they're used for? I reoriented them a little between pics for better view.

Thanks,
Allen

View attachment 61357View attachment 61358

I have a TH42 well accessorized, but with none of these items. I have catalogs going back to 1966 that don't show them so they went out of production a loooong time ago! I have most of the parts for the armature repair kit, but none of these look like those parts. The only time I did some boring, I used the milling attachment. The base casting for the armature repair kit is 9-511, while the sliding holder is 9-512, if that's any help. None of these items look anything like it, though.

Frank Duncan

Re: Need help with tooling ID for 10" Atlas lathe

Matt,

Thanks. I actually did look there under Atlas lathe docs, but didn't find the pics you came up with. According to my grandmother, my great grandfather was an auto mechanic by trade, so that would probably explain the valve grinding attachment. Also, the wood cutting attachment I have is obviously missing the tool rest. One could be easily made if I get a hankering to cut some wood. That leaves only the tool in the upper right corner of the pics as still mysterious. It could be related to the purpose of the valve grinding gizmo. I'll keep searching as time allows. Thanks to you and everyone else who has assisted here.

Allen

- - - Updated - - -

Frank,

Until you mentioned it I didn't even consider looking for casting numbers on the mystery pieces. I'll check them as soon as I'm able and see if I can use them to get more info.

Thanks,
Allen

I believe the piece in the upper right hand corner is a reamer grinding attachment. My 1937 Atlas manual shows it and how to use it.

I believe the piece in the upper right hand corner is a reamer grinding attachment. My 1937 Atlas manual shows it and how to use it.

Thanks. Is the manual you're referring to the standard Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation? If so, I should order a new one. The original went underwater in my grandfather's shop during Hurricane Katrina, so it's in really bad shape and hard to read. Luckily, the lathe had already been moved out.

Back