Need help with printing this part.

I was rereading this thread and would like to share something I’ve learned the past month with my new Prusa.

I made a comment about layer orientation. While I feel it is important, my comment was based on experience with an Ender 3 Pro. After a month of some light printing with the Prusa, I would worry less about layer orientation. The setup of the Prusa is really superior compared to that of the Creality. The only thing I have had to worry about is drafts in my shop which ruined one print. (I intentionally tested for it to see how valid draft claims are).

I’d like to say that layer orientation is still an important design and print process consideration, but it seems the Prusa makes it less so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much appreciated commentary. Thanks.

Thanks for the info Bryan,

I did print the holder, it's not perfect but it works. I should have used supports. I have also been working on an enclosure. I need to finish the base but also I need a heater of some sort to heat it up enough to at least start in the winter.

20221211_174000_copy_2016x954.jpg

20221211_174958_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20221215_191656_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Thanks for the info Bryan,

I did print the holder, it's not perfect but it works. I should have used supports. I have also been working on an enclosure. I need to finish the base but also I need a heater of some sort to heat it up enough to at least start in the winter.

View attachment 430182

View attachment 430183

View attachment 430184
How much benefit have you realized from the Lack enclosure? I order some 1" angle iron and a polycarb window kit and plan to fab up my own enclosure. Wondering if you have noticed a difference.

Since my printer is in the shop and for the most part it hovers around 40°, I can't even get the printer to start. I have only printed a couple of things without it being in some sort of enclosure, I have been using a large cardboard box and an incandescent light bulb for heat. Once it gets up and working, I believe the machine produces enough heat to keep it working. I have only printed a couple little Tree Frogs this afternoon with it under the Lack enclosure.
To get it started today I opened the doors on the enclosure and held a little portable heater up there until it was warm enough to start. The temperature of the extruder and bed was at 10°C, it wouldn't turn on until the extruder got up to 15°C. I like the Lack enclosure much better than the cardboard box, but I will need to come up with a heater for the encloser, I think. The little portable unit worked today, it's a little inconvenient but not horrible.

I don't have the base completed yet, but I did set it up on a table just to see what it looks like.

20221215_215321.jpg

And in the Dark.

20221215_205530.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That looks like a good set up. Think I will try making one. I will need to put a filter in mine, the PLA I'm printing is bothering my eyes. Different need than you have. You are trying to keep it warm enough to print, I'm trying to keep most volatiles out of the room.

I think the answer is a matter of opinion, experience and materials you are running, but does it matter if the electronics stay in the enclosure or not?

I think the answer is a matter of opinion, experience and materials you are running, but does it matter if the electronics stay in the enclosure or not?
I have a month experience with 3d printers... I'd like to use better materials than PLA. I'd consider ABS, but only after installing a good filtration system. I'm sensitive to PLA, so I'm sure ABS would be very hard on me.

It could be a bit of work to do the electronic relocation. Is there a great printing advantage to relocation? Which assemblies need relocation? If it's the control panel/display, that doesn't seem hard.

Thanks for the pictures. That looks like a good set up. Think I will try making one. I will need to put a filter in mine, the PLA I'm printing is bothering my eyes. Different need than you have. You are trying to keep it warm enough to print, I'm trying to keep most volatiles out of the room.

My wife is very sensitive to smells, I didn't even try and set the printer up in the house I knew where that would lead.

I have read mostly removing the power supply and some remove the control head but I haven't read where anyone has removed the einsy board.

I have a month experience with 3d printers... I'd like to use better materials than PLA. I'd consider ABS, but only after installing a good filtration system. I'm sensitive to PLA, so I'm sure ABS would be very hard on me.

It could be a bit of work to do the electronic relocation. Is there a great printing advantage to relocation? Which assemblies need relocation? If it's the control panel/display, that doesn't seem hard.
Try printing Petg or pla+ I never had a lot of luck with abs. Was finicky. Petg is my go to. I use pla+ on my belt printer.

One plus for having an enclosure is better heat control and more stable bed temps. down side is that some components will share that heat. Moving the power supply, control board and screen outside the enclosure helps make sure they do not over heat. You should look in to a temp fan controller and a Ptc heater. Both are relatively inexpensive And easy to wire. On things verse and Prusia prints there are several how tos on relocating the controls. Ytube as well.

Back