Need help with lathe dials

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi, I’m new to lathe work and need assistance figuring out my lathe dials. Been playing around but can’t seem to hit my numbers. It’s an older Enco lathe 12 x 36

Here a few pictures of my dials

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 83
Have you compared the dials to DTI's to see if your dials are accurate?

How much error are you seeing? Are you taking into account the normal backlash which all machines have?
If your axis screws are worn you may have unpredictable results depending on how much wear there is
Looks like your screws are imperial so 0.1" per turn or 100 thousandths per

How much error are you seeing? Are you taking into account the normal backlash which all machines have?
If your axis screws are worn you may have unpredictable results depending on how much wear there is
Looks like your screws are imperial so 0.1" per turn or 100 thousandths
I have took into account the backlash. Was just kind of confused on how much to expect to see when I dial in using the compound vs the crossslide dial. Also, as soon as I get home I will try and see how much error I have. This is all due to my inexperience I’m sure. Just trying to figure this thing out,lol

We'll need a bit more info from you. When you say you can't hit your numbers, exactly what's happening? If you were to take a piece of stock, make a cleanup pass on it, then touch off, zero the cross slide dial and then turn in say .025" on the cross slide, and make a cut, what would you expect the change in dimensions to be?

I have took into account the backlash. Was just kind of confused on how much to expect to see when I dial in using the compound vs the crossslide dial. Also, as soon as I get home I will try and see how much error I have. This is all due to my inexperience I’m sure. Just trying to figure this thing out,lol
If the compound is set at an angle less than 90* (like in the pictures) the tool will move in towards the work far less than .001 per line on the dial. It will only be .001 per line when the compound is at 90*.

Some lathes are marked such that if you dial in .025" on the cross slide you remove .025" of material total. Others are marked such that if you dial in .025" on the cross slide you take off .050" total. Short version, some are marked in radius, others in diameter.

Back