Need help with a craftsman lathe chuck thread issue please.

Sorry for the messy bench. The large plate and the four jaw fit fine and thread all the way on. I just dont have it seated in the pic

Nice! I had one just like that for a short while. They're good little lathes. The 1*10tpi backing plate is for an Atlas 618 or equivalent Craftsman, not the 7301. Might be worth putting up a "want to trade" for a 1*8tpi back plate

Nice! I had one just like that for a short while. They're good little lathes. The 1*10tpi backing plate is for an Atlas 618 or equivalent Craftsman, not the 7301. Might be worth putting up a "want to trade" for a 1*8tpi back plate
I got to borrow a thread gauge today and the whole thing is 1”x8tpi thank goodness. The backing plate and four jaw fit fine. Another friend of mine said he’s going to send the right tap with his wife, so i’ll pick that up at church tomorrow and see if the three jaw and jacobs clean up and fit.

In the picture of the back of the chucks you can see some marks on the threads on the upper right side of the picture of the jacobs chuck. Don't know if that is enough to keep the chuck from screwing onto the spindle.

In the picture of the back of the chucks you can see some marks on the threads on the upper right side of the picture of the jacobs chuck. Don't know if that is enough to keep the chuck from screwing onto the spindle.
I’ll run that tap on them and go from there. I see the part you mentioned but it looks like discoloration in person. I appreciate you checking it out!

Thank you all for the replies. I guess i was just running away with the idea that there were two potential threads on that machine. I used the borrowed tap and bought a bottoming tap for the jacobs and they fit now.

Attachments

• 13BC5978-61A1-44C0-A8D9-4CF72146046D.jpeg
    13BC5978-61A1-44C0-A8D9-4CF72146046D.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 9
  • F38AAC23-19ED-4C7F-B644-26DFDBBE99F5.jpeg
    F38AAC23-19ED-4C7F-B644-26DFDBBE99F5.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 9
Back