Need help with 230V single phase wiring with Drum switch

kdtop

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I have seen this question many times on the net, and also on this forum. I have reviewed several from here, including these:

But I can't seem to apply the information given to my situation. I apologize in advance for asking the same question that I am sure is brought up again and again.

I am refurbishing a 1935 South Bend lathe, though I'm pretty sure the motor is newer than that. Here is it's info tag below. I think it is capacitor start as I see a bump on it's side. The original wall plug is a 220 V plug and wiring seem to have been for high volts.

Left side of tag (right side is cut off, see other image below)

IMG_3676.png

Right side of tag:

IMG_3654.png

I have a Westinghouse Drum switch that looks like this (not cleaned up yet).

IMG_3669.png

I verified that it has It has connections like this:

IMG_3669_switch right.png

IMG_3669_switch left.png

And with switch in the center, there is no connection. This seems standard to other posts I have seen about this.

When I took the wiring apart during painting etc, I tried to label the wires. But 2 or more of my tags came off unnoticed by me until too late. So I'm stuck.

The wires coming out of the motor were nicely labeled with P1, P2, T2, T3, T4, T5, T8

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 6.55.49 PM.png

Below is the other end of wires that were connected to the motor:

IMG_874FAE1C10CC-1.jpeg

It has red, black, yellow and orange #1 and orange #2

The wires coming out of the motor. connections were as follows (see also diagram below):

P1 --> orange #1
P2 --> capped, not used
T2+T3 --> orange #2
T4 --> yellow
T5 --> red
T8 --> black

These wire run to a junction box in the back of the lathe. And here they connect to a different set of wires that run to the drum switch. In the photo below, only these second set of wires are shown:

IMG_3667.png

The connections here are as below (see also diagram below)

yellow --> switch pole 3
orange #1 --> switch pole 6
orange #2 --> ?? (tag lost)
red --> switch pole 4
black --> ?? (tag lost)

The secondary wires reach the end of the arm, where the switch is mounted:

IMG_3668.png

There are 6 wires running from the junction box to the end of the switch arm. One of them seemed to be capped off and not used, though I'm not sure.

Here is the best I can diagram my current knowledge of the original setup.

Lathe Wiring Diagram.png

To summarize:
I want Drum switch to switch this 220 V, single phase motor in forward, reverse directions, and of course also off.

Any help will be appreciated!

K. Toppenberg

Last edited:
Howdy, give me a few minutes and I'll post a sketch for you
-Mark

Try this:
Swap Red T5 and Black T8 if necessary to match motor rotation with switch handle
Be sure to connect ground to motor case for safety (not shown)

Attachments

• 240DD1xb.jpeg
    240DD1xb.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Ahhh, this is SO GOOD!

For my (and other's) future reference, this is how the electricity will flow in the switch-left and switch-right configurations.

Switch Left:

Lathe Wiring Diagram_switch left.png

and Switch Right:

Lathe Wiring Diagram_switch right.png

This seems like a topological puzzle. I know it would make sense once I saw it, but I couldn't come up with this myself. I'm curious, is there a trick to figuring this out? Or does it come from experience?

Thanks again!

K Toppenberg

No trick, just a little theory :)
Someday soon I hope to put together a simple procedure for any motor and switch combo
But I'm not there yet..

Getting ready to do this to my Jet. I came up with the same connections as Mark I just put L2 at the top of the switch. I am in the same boat as you with the motor not being original. Not sure if you have provisions in the current wiring but make sure to ground the drum switch if you can.

Getting ready to do this to my Jet. I came up with the same connections as Mark I just put L2 at the top of the switch. I am in the same boat as you with the motor not being original. Not sure if you have provisions in the current wiring but make sure to ground the drum switch if you can.

Thanks. The drum will be connected to a metal arm, that is connected to the lathe, that will be grounded. Is that enough?

Thanks

Thanks. The drum will be connected to a metal arm, that is connected to the lathe, that will be grounded. Is that enough?

Thanks
I am using the drum switch off my Bridgeport and it's a metal frame that was mounted to a metal bracket on the mill. It also had a dedicated ground going to the switch that tied into the ground from the wall. I don't think anything in my lathe is grounded to the lathe it's self. It all ties into the service ground from the wall so that's how I'm going to ground my switch.

Working backwards from Mark's helpful diagram, I came up with steps as below that might help me or someone else next time.

These diagrams are for a 220 V single-phase motor with capacitor start.

As posted before, the connections this switch makes are as follows:

IMG_3669_switch left.png

IMG_3669_switch right.png

To wire this up, I found it helpful to diagram the two wiring targets for clockwise and counterclockwise arrangements:

Switch Logic 0 cropped.png

Next, consider the inputs and outputs of the switch as follows. Input post 4 will switch to connect to either output post 3 or 2 depending on switch handle position. And input post 6 will always connect to output post 5, or be OFF when switch is in off position.

Switch Logic 1 cropped.png

Next, connect L1:

Switch Logic 2 cropped.png

Next, connect L2:

Switch Logic 3 cropped.png

Next connect T4

Switch Logic 4 cropped.png

And finally, the most tricky part in my opinion is to connect the remaining wire to the remaining post.

Switch Logic 5 cropped.png

I hope this helps someone. Notice that the connections are symmetrical left vs right, so everything could be swapped left vs right. I mention this in case someone is trying to map my layout to what they have on their machine. Also, there is symmetry between the top row (posts 1 & 2) and the second row (posts 3 and 4). So these also might be swapped.

Again, this was for a 220 V single-phase motor with capacitor start.

Thanks
Kevin Toppenberg

Last edited:
Back