Need Help On Converter Choice.

Looks like I have lucked out on the VFD. It is a teco n3-201-cs-u which appears to run on single or 3 phase and has increased hp range in 3 phase. Woohoo. Two birds one stone!

The best of both worlds IMO.

I would like to add a VFD to the lathe someday. I saw another members (mjks) lathe set up who is using a ton of parameters via VFD. He's very sharp and has helped a lot of members on this site. I am lucky to live in the same town as he has been very helpful with design, rewiring and programing a plate roller I had been struggling with for some time. One of the cool things he did upon finishing the install was Autotune using a laptop.

Keep us posted.

I believe the Teco VFD model specified is single phase in 3 phase out from the specs. But not really a problem, just run off a single phase 20A circuit from the sub panel, and use a RPC for the lathe. Not sure of the size of the lathe or the work envelop it will be used for, but if the 7.5Hp gives you problems, a smaller motor in the 3-5Hp range is very reasonable. Could look at something like the a Teco 3 phase 5Hp (usually new around $200-250), and a RPC, or VFD if you need speed control.
1 HP, 230 Volts, NEMA 1, Teco, N3-201-CS-U

MODEL #: N3-201-CS-U
230 Volts 1 Phase Input, 230 Volts 3 Phase Output

Back