Need Help IDing 1/4" Tooling.....

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
I purchased this group of used 1/4" tooling from EBay. I cleaned them up but being a complete novice, I don't have a clue what they're specifically used for ( metal type specific, finishing, radius, etc. etc.). I'm hoping someone can ID them so I know what they're used for and what they shouldn't be used for.

After I get a handle on each one's specific purpose, the second hurdle is to sharpen them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure someone will ask so here's a pre-emptive answer. I paid $30 including shipping. Did I do well or did I get hosed?IMG_4481aaa.jpg

Looks like a police lineup- "what metal shop were you at on the night of..."
Good selection of shapes, some might be sharp enough to use as is- price ain't bad, they are several $ each new unground
round ends like #10 would be for light finishing cuts
#6 might be a threading tool
sharp points like #11 would be for rough cutting but even those should have a small end radius
odd ones like #1,4,8,9, 18, 19, 20 were probably for special purposes (cutting up to a shoulder, cutting ring grooves, etc.)
-Mark
#16 looks good from the side- that's the kind of profile you want for general purpose turning

Last edited:
#12 looks to be for internal boring for like an o-ring groove or thread relief, maybe.
I agree with Mark, many of them were probably ground for a specific purpose. Not a bad haul for $30
Several of them still have clean ends where you can make your own special tool.

Back