Need help identifying this lathe please

neanderthalhuck

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone I just bought my first lathe a little bit ago. Ive searched and searched for answers to what it is i have. The ad said it was a craftsman. Then when i went to check it out he kept calling it a logan. To me it looks like a craftsman or atlas or even possible a montgomary wards. Can anyone shed any light on this brand and model? Id love to start buying the missing pieces so i can clean it up and give it a paint job. And most importantly find a book for it. until then then ill keep searching and messing around with it.

image-2_zps9512fb88.jpe
image_zpsf11a47e8.jpe
image-1_zpsf4cbc024.jpe

thanks
-jake

I think what you have there is an Atlas / Craftsman 10 x 24, Model D/F series Sold in about 1950 or so

Lathe1.jpg

Looks like it could be put into service pretty much as you have it ....Nice

Jim gets the prize. Seems that are lots of extra parts in the box. Likely not missing anything.
Pierre

I think what you have there is an Atlas / Craftsman 10 x 24, Model D/F series Sold in about 1950 or so

Lathe1.jpg

Nailed it! thanks a lot. now i'll be able to start learning about this guy. Where is a good place to source parts other than ebay? Thanks agian! I seem to see dark grey atlas' and blueish grey craftsmans. Is that one way to tell them apart? Im assuming they are exactly the same, just a different logo stamp on it? Hope i can find it's name badge, that'd be cool to have it on there.

Looks like it could be put into service pretty much as you have it ....Nice

Yeah it does work, but personally i'd just like to be complete and have the right pieces on it to make sure it's being serviced correctly. I just bought an oil dripper that will fill a hole that was empty. Now i know oil goes into it> just want to fully understand the lathe and its parts purpose. Now that i know its a craftsman i feel better about my buy too. cost me 800. what do you think? its hard to come across a smaller american lathe in the nw. everyone wants one it seems. (outside of portland)

Jim gets the prize. Seems that are lots of extra parts in the box. Likely not missing anything.
Pierre

Yeah its pretty complete. Missing only a few items that i can tell. It also has a few hand made items, such as the tailstock hand wheel. I dont know, my head wants to see it a stock piece from 1950. This thing is from the 1950's! and it still works. I think its time it gets to go back to the glory days!

Hey, neanderthal, your next step is to figure out what the Sears/Craftsman part number is. Probably something like 101.xxxxx. Then, you can lookup parts on SearsPartsDirect.com.

--- TwoMany

Jake,

What you have is a 10" Atlas. Discerning feature is the FWD-REV gear box on the left end of the lead screw. The 12" Craftsman has a tumbler reverse and doesn't have the gearbox. Plus the 12" headstock doesn't have the ribs running up the front at an angle. Yours has a two-piece carriage (separate saddle and apron) so it's a 10F and should have power cross feed. It appears to have a vertical countershaft and has babbit spindle bearings so the model number is probably V42. Atlas phased out the babbit bearings and the vertical countershaft shortly after WW-II so it was made before 1948. It could have been made as early as late 1939. The only way to pin it down any closer would be to find the serial number. There was originally a nameplate on the back of the bed. And most early Atlas (and Craftsman) lathes had the serial number stamped on top of the front way near the right end. Probably 4-digits, maybe with a suffix letter no one knows the significance of.

For parts other than here or eBay, try Clausing. 800-323-0972. Ask for old lathe parts or Atlas lathe parts. Probably most of the parts they still stock are for the later Atlas 12" but a surprising number of parts were still the same through end of production in 1981. I have a 3996 made in 1980 and a few small parts on it were first used on the 9" in 1932. However, things like change gears and half nuts are still the same as on the 10F and comparable Craftsman 12". Be prepared for some sticker shock, though, as although the part numbers are old, the parts they still have were made recently (past 10 years, anyway) and are priced accordingly.

Robert D.

Jake,

What you have is a 10" Atlas. Discerning feature is the FWD-REV gear box on the left end of the lead screw. The 12" Craftsman has a tumbler reverse and doesn't have the gearbox. Plus the 12" headstock doesn't have the ribs running up the front at an angle. Yours has a two-piece carriage (separate saddle and apron) so it's a 10F and should have power cross feed. It appears to have a vertical countershaft and has babbit spindle bearings so the model number is probably V42. Atlas phased out the babbit bearings and the vertical countershaft shortly after WW-II so it was made before 1948. It could have been made as early as late 1939. The only way to pin it down any closer would be to find the serial number. There was originally a nameplate on the back of the bed. And most early Atlas (and Craftsman) lathes had the serial number stamped on top of the front way near the right end. Probably 4-digits, maybe with a suffix letter no one knows the significance of.

For parts other than here or eBay, try Clausing. 800-323-0972. Ask for old lathe parts or Atlas lathe parts. Probably most of the parts they still stock are for the later Atlas 12" but a surprising number of parts were still the same through end of production in 1981. I have a 3996 made in 1980 and a few small parts on it were first used on the 9" in 1932. However, things like change gears and half nuts are still the same as on the 10F and comparable Craftsman 12". Be prepared for some sticker shock, though, as although the part numbers are old, the parts they still have were made recently (past 10 years, anyway) and are priced accordingly.

Robert D.

Thanks a lot for narrowing that down for me. I know that from the late 30's to the late 50's the lathe had stayed about that same with some minor changes. But now i have a more accurate date to this machine. And i think the ways have been sanded down as there are no numbers stamped on it. you say its a 10 f, but a lot of the pieces have 10d - XXX stamped on them, did them share the same pieces in that mater?

Jake,

It isn't necessary to use Reply With Quote when the post you are replying to is right before yours. Please use Reply to Thread, instead.

One thing that Atlas (unlike GM) was never guilty of was assigning new part numbers to otherwise identical parts just because they were going to be used on a different or newer or more expensive model. The first Atlas lathe was a 9". All of the custom (as opposed to common hardware) parts had part numbers with a "9" prefix, a hyphen, and a sequence or suffix number beginning at "1". When they built the first 10", they used a lot of "9" parts, all of which remained 9-nn. New parts began with "10" but if the equivalent but not identical part had existed in the 9", the suffix number remained the same. For example, suffix "-31" is the main spindle in all of the lathes and even in the Atlas mill. 10-nn parts were used in 10A, B and C. If a part was revised in some manner during production, it got an "A" suffix (then "B", then "C", etc.). Some or maybe most most "ABC" suffix parts are backwards compatible. Then there was the 10D, and finally the 10F lathes (10E was a Unit Plan machine based on the 10D). If you look at the parts list of the 10F, you will find a mix of all of the prefixes, "9-" through "10F-". For some reason, when they came out with the 6" (612 and 618), the prefix used was "M6" instead of just "6". And for the 12" that they started building for Sears, instead of "12", they used "L1", "L2", and so on prefix for the new parts. Although the suffix rule was still followed. No one knows why. But there were many 9 through 10F parts used, too.

But as I wrote earlier, all the way through to the final production in 1981 if a part first used on an earlier model was used, it still had its original part number.

The part number rule for accessories was different, but I won't go into that here.

On the serial number question, most examples all the way up through 1957 have the serial number stamped on the bed. But every once in a while, an example turns up that doesn't. We don't know whether for brief periods they stopped doing it or whether these are all examples of replacement beds ordered as a repair part. If I had to flip a coin, I'd probably go with the latter case. But there's no proof either way.

Robert D.
Robert D

Hey sorry about that Robert, that is how i've done it for years when there are more than one post towards me that i haven't responded to. (yours and Twomany) Also it helps me responded to everything in your post and ask any questions that i may have. Ill try to remember that as to not flood up a thread.

Again thanks for that info on the lathe, because there are a few pieces that do have a 9 on them. Im going to just read all the atlas/craftsman info on this site and see if i can narrow it down to a particular year(s) and learn the do's and dont's with a lathe. thanks again Robert youve been very helpful on putting me in the right path.

-jake

Back