Need help I just bought a model Atlas Th42 lathe .What size motor does it require to run?

Pkniff

Registered
Registered
I just bought a Atlas Model TH42 lathe the motor does not run at all. I'm getting some sparking on forward and reverse switch. The motor that is on it is 1/4 hp what is recommended size? I do not have a manual for it either. What I do have is a complete lathe set up. The owner passed away and took very good care of it no rust but tons of oil and grease every where.
Could some one point me to a site for a manual and motor size.

Attachments

• 20210330_115403.jpg
    20210330_115403.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 41
Some info here.

Do you own a. Atlas Th42? If so have to ever bent anything with that much HP

Besides the motor issue, it looks like you will need to provide a better table for it. Ideally you want a nice heavy table top around 2" or more thick.
Any 1725 rpm ac motor from 1/3 to 1 HP would work. 1/4 HP is really too small for that lathe. You could also install a variable speed motor and controller if you wanted to.
-Mark

Last edited:
Table is two inch oak mounted to cast iron frame. The guy ran it like that he bought it new in 40s . Update put a 1/3 hp on it ever thing does work. I bypassed the reverse switch.

The original Atlas motor on my TH54 is 1/2 horse. TH 54 is the same as the TH 42 only with a longer bed. Enjoy your lathe. It is amazing some of the work around here that is done on an Altas lathe. It’s the person not the machine that makes a machinist.

There are documents available for a variety of lathes that Atlas produced over the years (decades), here:

Your TH54 is part of the 10F series of lathes. You'll want the "10F-Series Atlas 10" Lathes-Illustrated Parts List" and the "Atlas Lathe Lubrication Chart". Atlas also produced a book-length manual giving directions on all manner of work with their lathes: the Manual of Lathe Operations, often referred to as the MOLO. On Vintage Machinery, they have a copy available as a 3-part download.

On this site, if you become a supporting member ($$), you will get access to a variety of Atlas documents to download including multiple editions of the MOLO. And lots more.

Craig

Do you own a. Atlas Th42? If so have to ever bent anything with that much HP
Not currently , but i did almost 10years ago
If I were to pick, and do it again, i’d go 1hp 3phase with a VFD

Back