Need help/advice new old atlas is it worth it?

QCGB and taper attachment. All on a lathe that will serve a lifetime and has great parts availability.

Well worth the extra $850.

John

$1000 is way too much. Hardly any worthwhile tooling.
My first lathe cost $1000 and was a Logan 820 which has a 10 in swing. It was turnkey, the previous owner was a retired machinist and this was his baby, it was completely restored in excellent condition except for some moderate bed wear. The headstock bearings were quiet and accurate. The lathe has a quick change gear box so no need to mess with change gears and calculations. It has 2 methods of feed on the x axis, power feed from the half nuts for threading, and power feed from the apron clutch which is much finer and gives a better surface finish with small radius cutting bits. The clutch feed also powers the carriage cross feed which is also a fine feed. It came with a Bison 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck and a full set of at3 collets and draw bar, an aloris quick change tool post and jacobs tailstock chuck. The only problem was the bed had a bit of wear at the headstock. I was able to find a good bed for $150 from a used machine dealer in sicklerville NJ which is only about an hour away from you. They are a good resource for used machines and tooling at reasonable prices. The tooling is the most expensive aspect of Machining, not the lathe.
My only regret due to my inexperience is the spindle through hole is too small, less than an inch, so I ended up graduating to a Clausing 5914 so I can use 5c collets with long stock passing through the spindle which is around 1-3/8.
I think making 35 to 45 mm pins on that atlas will be somewhat of a challenge and give you alot of chatter due to the lack of mass on that machine.

Last edited:
35-45 mm pins are not that much a challenge. Did a few rifle barrels on mine years ago, as well as other precision jobs. On that list of lathes, the only one I would look at is the Hardinge. One can grow into that one and not run out of machine.
Pierre

It depends...

What is the market like in your area?

These are great LEARNING lathes as they will force you to do additional stuff for good outcome.

They are simple so better for new person.

Price seems about 2x normal though.

However it seems everything is more...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I agree. This has a lot of complicated pros and cons. A big con for me is no quick change gearbox. Old lantern style tool post. And most of the stuff in the drawers is not what I would use. The chuck looks like it was hauled around in a pickup bed full of rocks. Not sure but it also looks like plain bearing headstock. So even though it’s not my cup’o tea, it might be yours. YMMV big time.

it is a plain bearing headstock
the length is a bit short
it doesn't look like it had a hard life, its well appointed with tooling and 2 chucks
personally i like roller bearing headstocks, but the plain bearing headstocks can make some very nice finishes
for your needs it may work

35-45 mm pins are not that much a challenge. Did a few rifle barrels on mine years ago, as well as other precision jobs. On that list of lathes, the only one I would look at is the Hardinge. One can grow into that one and not run out of machine.
Pierre
Didn't say it can't be done, but with only half nut feed and having to use a large radius cutter to get a decent finish on presumably alloy steel (heavy machinery pivot pins) I can see that atlas bouncing across the room from the chatter. Who wants to do all those light cuts to get it done? He has already outgrown the machine before buying it.

Too much money for a lathe without a quick change gearbox and power cross-feed. Regardless of your anticipated needs, the lathe you get will always be too small/limited before long. Don't start out that way. Keep looking

Here are some much better choices:

This first Heavy 10 is a very good deal for a very good machine.

Damn, you're just awash in good machinery back there!

I'll include this one just because it's a screamin' good deal for a lathe I'd kill to have.

Wow thank you. I may have to save up some more before I just jump in this. I’ll take the advice and wait for a better machine

Wow thank you. I may have to save up some more before I just jump in this. I’ll take the advice and wait for a better machine
Here's a list I consider important on a lathe(I would have to have):
Quick change tool post
Steel gears
Variable speed
D or L type chuck mount(reversible)
Reverse speed motor
quick change gear box
Greater than 1 1/4" through hole in spindle

I paid about $350 for mine. Need some parts replaced too. That was about five years ago at this stage. Also got three chucks with it. And mine had Timken bearings and they are in pretty good shape.

It really really depends on your market and the timing n order to find a steal.

For $1000, I would wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back