Need Band Saw Recommendation

karim

Registered
Registered
I have a table-top mini band saw (6-3/8" wheels) sold by MicroMark. It's a solid saw, and has a lot to recommend it, including perfect (for me) size and variable-speed. I use this saw for wood, acrylic, styrene, and metal (mostly aluminum & brass, and occasionally mild steel).

BUT.... this thing chews through its non-standard-sized blades like there's no tomorrow. The blades are 41-7/8" and seem thinner than standard blades. Of course, the replacements are $$, and I don't like being held-hostage.

I've looked around and while I've seen a number of affordable 9" saws, they all seem focused on woodworking.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • upright saw with a table. While I will use this saw for cutting off metal material, it's primary purpose is as a traditional bandsaw, not just a cutoff saw.
  • standard blades. I'm tired of being held hostage to a single source for blades
  • no bigger than 9" (and that's really pushing it... ideally smaller). I have a very small shop, and not much bench space to spare.
  • < $200.
Is there anything out there? or am I stuck buying blades at $25 a pop?

Look for a used "porta-band" saw made by Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt, etc. (or buy a new one from Harbor Freight). Then get one of these:

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.html

Or just make the table yourself.

I have a Milwaukee deep cut portable bandsaw and use it frequently by gently clamping it upright in a vise. A 2-pack of blades is about $15. One of those Swag Off-road tables will be one of my next tool purchases.

Are you using wax to lube blade?

I do use cutting wax/fluid based on what I'm cutting... the problem I think is that the blades it uses are especially thin, so they simply don't last very long. I tried ordering a custom blade, but they were sized incorrectly, and I'm not sure I'm willing to throw more money after bad. I don't have the equipment to cut/weld my own blades.

Look for a used "porta-band" saw made by Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt, etc. (or buy a new one from Harbor Freight). Then get one of these:

That's interesting... the footprint is quite a bit larger than I'd like, and and I'm not thrilled with the lack of blade guides & guards, but I'll look into that solution a little more...

Chuck Bommarito, AKA outsidescrewball, has a YouTube video of how he made his porta-band conversion. You may be able to modify his design to the space you have and how you plan to use it.

OK, a bit off topic here ... I'm sure the Milwaukie Portaband is a great saw, but I once asked an employee at Home Depot turn one on for me for a couple of seconds. LOUDER THAN STINK!! Does anybody have any experience with other similar tools under other brands? Are they all loud? I'd love to find one that doesn't require major ear protection!

I use the hell out of my small horizontal saw..10-15 dollar a blade...feed it slow and they last a long time

I have a Dewalt portable band saw and the Swag table and it's done about all the cutting I've needed. A deeper throat would be nice but it is what it is.

A lot of the shops I have worked at we would make replacemet band saw blades whatever size we needed from a coil of bandsaw blade. Cut to length, weld together, grind the weld and off we went. I haven't looked but I bet there is a site somewhere that someone has devised a way to make blades in a home fixture.

Thanks for all the input. Excessive noise is an issue for my situation, so that's not off topic at all.

I wish I could build my own blades... That would solve all my problems, I think. But I don't have the room for a welding set-up, even though I'd love to have one.

Last edited:
Hmm. Found this video... Maybe I'll give this a try:

Luckily, since the custom blades I ordered are 2–3" too long, I have some good blade stock to experiment with.

Back