Need advice on which of 2 Bridgeports to pick from

todd774

Registered
Registered
Through a deal I'm making w/ a friend, I have a choice of 1 of 2 Bridgeport M head machines to take home. One has a swivel table (like a universal machine) & the other is plain. I was alittle exicited when I saw the swivel table & told him that I'll take that one. He explained to me that I'd be happier W/the plain one, it would be more accurate. Being just a hobbie machinist & experimenter, I was wondering if anybody that's reading this has any experience w/ the swivel table as opposed to the traditional ridged table. Obviously I didn't like his advice, but I do trust it.(like a little kid going to the other parent to get the answer he wants to hear) Right now the only milling machine I have is an Atlas MSC benchtop horrizontal w/ overhead attachment. Any knowlegable imput is appreciated.

Thank You,
Todd K.

I would love to see pics of this swivel table. What operations would you use that feature for?

Me too. I never seen a swivel table. I wouldnt doubt it though. Back in the day they had all sorts of cool attachments/options. The swivel isnt on the vice base is it? (Just checking)

I would look closely at the condition of either machine and make your decision based on that. Look at the ways, leadscrews, etc. Have they been properly lubed, or does everything appear to be clogged with solidified chips/grease? Do the power feeds work? Etc. Etc.

The swivel COULD be a useful feature, but only if you plan on making helical gears or other similar types of parts. A BP isn't really well designed for gear cutting, but will certainly work fine for the average hobbyist.

Back