Need advice on how to disassemble Royal live center

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I purchased a used Royal live center from Lost Creek Machine. The exterior surfaces are in great condition, almost as if it wasn't used very much but when I turn the center by hand it seems to me that it takes a good bit of effort to rotate. There is no roughness or grittiness when rotating. I really think that it just sat for a very long time and the grease has dried up. There is a SHCS on the end of the taper. I removed it and sprayed some light oil in the back of it, re-installed the SHCS and put it in the headstock of my lathe and spun it up to 1,000 rpm. At first it required a good grip to hold onto the center but after 30 seconds or so it loosened up to the point that the resistance to rotate it feels similar to my other live centers. Although it feels like I brought it back to life, I know that the oil I put in there is not adequate lubrication for the bearings and the center did start to get a little warm.
Can anyone tell me how to take this apart or can give me an idea on how it should come apart? When I remove the SHCS from the end of the tapered end there is another 5/32 SHCS down the bore at the back of the body. I thought about loosening it but then I figured I had better post here first and see if anyone knew how to disassemble it.
I looked on Royal's website and can't find any info on it. There is no part# on the body so no way to look it up. I doubt if I call up Royal they would want to give me the time of day on how to disassemble it. I searched this forum and youtube and all I found was a video from Randy Richards but the center he disassembled was not built the same.
I am no expert when it comes to live centers and I have only ever owned a few chinese knock-offs and they seem to turn easily without much effort at all but if the light oil loosened it up I would think that it needs servicing. Maybe I am wrong and higher end centers require more resistance because they are expected to deflect less?
Here is whats etched on the body:
Super-Tri Bearing Live Center
Royal Products, Hauppauge, NY
Made in USA 3MT

Royal1.jpeg

Royal2.jpeg

Call Royal. They're pretty responsive. They also offer a rebuild service and may be able to get that thing working properly. That center goes for new $800.00 so it might be worth sending it in instead of mucking around with it.

Call Royal. They're pretty responsive. They also offer a rebuild service and may be able to get that thing working properly. That center goes for new $800.00 so it might be worth sending it in instead of mucking around with it.
I couldn't find this model on their website. Did you happen to see a part# ?

Royal also publishes diagrams.. Search on Royal live center diagram

Last edited:
The end cap might just be held in with 0-ring fit. try twisting the back cap. Inside might be screw head..
Not sure, but thats how some come apart.
Randy Richard has video on disassemble royal center too..
Royal also publishes diagrams.. Search on Royal live center diagram
Its not an O-ring but a SHCS and I took it out and beyond that is another SHCS at the back of the body.
Yes I mentioned the RR in the Shop vid but its different.
I have been unable to find this model or one like it on Royal's website.

I guess I need to read posts thru :(
Looks like Mikey might be right... On the 10663

Attachments

• Royal center.jpg
    Royal center.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 33
Used to be their model 10663. Not sure what it is now.
I guess I need to read posts thru :(
Looks like Mikey might be right... On the 10663
I saw exactly what both of you are referring to but my issue is that they list the 10663 as a QUAD bearing whereas mine has Tri-bearing printed on it. More importantly the 10663 has a body length of 2.12" but mine is 1.94" (about .180" shorter). All of the other dimensions shown are very close but whats got me even more confused is Royal calling 3 angular contact bearings plus a needle roller a QUAD bearing? If so I would assume my center has 2 angular contact bearings and 1 needle roller. I guess a call to Royal "might" resolve my confusion but I still need to pull it apart and thats where I am hoping someone here has some experience. I have seen a few guys on the "PM" forums mention disassembling this brand center but not this particular model.
Also that SHCS that I mentioned deep down in the shank, if the internals are similar it would be right before the roller needle bearing. I thought about pressing it out from the back towards the tip but I am not sure if that SHCS has to come out first.

ROYAL components.png
When you look at the pic you can see 3 angular contact bearings and a needle bearing in the back.

You have the older model tri-bearing 10663. You are right that the "new" 10663" is a quad bearing in Royal's current line up. Regardless, a call to tech support may give you the info you need re disassembly.

Back