Need A Specific Bushing Size-make It Or Order It?

Kawabuggy

Registered
Registered
As the title says, I am in need of bushings that are of a custom size. Specifically I need an internal diameter of approximately 1.227", and an OD of 1.260 (+/- .005" on the O/D is fine).

I have been looking at drill bushings and there are some that are close but would need to be machined down to reach the measurements that I am looking for.

I believe there might be bushing manufacturers that could make the bushings I need if I were to order enough of them. I'm wondering-hoping?-I could find something off the shelf that would not require custom made bushings.

Does anyone know where I could review bushing specifications for off-the-shelf pre-made bushings? Or can you recommend a manufacturer that I could speak to about this?

Thanks!

Wreck-Wreck is correct, please check those numbers again.

1.260-1.227 = .033. .033/2 = .0165

That is not much wall for a bushing.

"Billy G"

I'd call that a sleeve or liner. Does it need to be hardened like drill bushings?

Steel? Bronze? Rotational, linear motion? DO check those measurements. What is the application.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Agree with above, that thin would be easy to damage if it has to be a good tight fit what is the material needed and what is it to be used for. How many do you need.

Thanks for the fast replies. It could be a sleeve, or liner I guess. The measurements I gave are "ball park". The only #'s that are set are the ID.

Here is what I am doing. I have a steel shaft that is press fit into a drum. The steel shaft is hollow and feeds hydraulic oil through the inside of the shaft. Where the shaft is pressed into the drum, there is a feed hole drilled through to the center to access the pressurized fluid passing through the inside of the steel shaft. Likewise, there is a feed hole (perpendicular to shaft) in the drum. These two holes intersect and allow fluid to pass from the shaft into the drum. The problem I have now is that when the shaft is pressed into the drum I am not getting a good seal and the hydraulic fluid under high pressure is actually coming out between shaft & drum.

My thoughts were to press a malleable bushing such as brass, copper, or other, into the drum first, then press the shaft into the bushing material thereby forming a tight(er) seal. I can drill the feed hole in the bushing before I press it in and just clock it correctly so that it lines up properly when the shaft is pressed into the drum.

Maybe there is an easier way to accomplish this? I am open to any suggestions.

Sounds like a good application for a seal design, using 2, one each side of the exit port.

Thanks for the fast replies. It could be a sleeve, or liner I guess. The measurements I gave are "ball park". The only #'s that are set are the ID.

Here is what I am doing. I have a steel shaft that is press fit into a drum. The steel shaft is hollow and feeds hydraulic oil through the inside of the shaft. Where the shaft is pressed into the drum, there is a feed hole drilled through to the center to access the pressurized fluid passing through the inside of the steel shaft. Likewise, there is a feed hole (perpendicular to shaft) in the drum. These two holes intersect and allow fluid to pass from the shaft into the drum. The problem I have now is that when the shaft is pressed into the drum I am not getting a good seal and the hydraulic fluid under high pressure is actually coming out between shaft & drum.

My thoughts were to press a malleable bushing such as brass, copper, or other, into the drum first, then press the shaft into the bushing material thereby forming a tight(er) seal. I can drill the feed hole in the bushing before I press it in and just clock it correctly so that it lines up properly when the shaft is pressed into the drum.

Maybe there is an easier way to accomplish this? I am open to any suggestions.

O ring

I've already thought about the O-ring idea and I don't think it will work. The section where the feed holes intersect inside the drum does not have enough material between the external edge of the drum and the feed hole. There is less than ..060" between the outside edge of the drum and the edge of the feed hole down inside the drum bore. If I were to cut a relief in the actual shaft for an O-ring to ride in around the O/D of the shaft, I'm afraid it would be too weak to support the O-ring and might actually cause an additional failure. I will take a much closer look

I have a 9X20 lathe, and a knee mill at the shop. My thoughts were to open theID of the drum enough to seat a bushing in the drum, then press the shaft back into the drum/bushing forming a much tighter seal.

Back