Need a longer parting tool

Mike , one thing I just noticed . Flip those jaws around for more stability !

Thank you, I was wondering about that, but the exorbitant amount of time it took me to dial this in to .0005-.001, I did not want to start over. This is the first time out of the box for this chuck, and me setting it up.

I could part that off in my Monarch. My Enco wouldn't do it though. Not enough rigity.

That's the technique I was using, but got into some chatter, the tool post lever started moving, tightened it, and changed the angle of the blade. It all went cattywampus from there

What the size is that? I assumed it was like 5" dia but I don't know what size your chuck is. That's a pretty big chunk to part off if it is 5". Be sure to catch the thing! When there's a through hole on the part I like to stick a rod in the tailstock chuck to catch the part, frees up a hand.

Hi Will, yeah 5" it's going to be a bending die on the fab table for 1/2" bar stock. Good idea an the tail stock.
8" chuck....

Last edited:
I was going to ask whatcha making Mike . Are you having a 1/4" radius cut on the OD when done ?

I need the 5" throat, and considered it, but didn't want to loose too much of the bend. I have been thinking about clamping it flat as the bend progresses. I have not tried this yet, so I don't know whats going to happen. Is 1/4" the radius I should use for 1/2" bar? I don't even know if I'm going to be dragging my table all over the garage bending this....

Back