Need a little help on an Alexander D-bit grinder assembly... I'm stuck

@pontiac428 - I finally remembered to take a picture of the motor plate.

At 50hz, it turns at 2,800, so at 60hz, it would be 3,360.

PXL_20230730_153832522.jpg

3360 rpm is better than 2800. I think in the end you will have a cooler but slightly slower grind, so not bad at all.

Your wiring job is sanitary if not downright sexy. I have one criticism that I almost feel bad about calling out, but from the operator's position, you have to reach over and past a live spindle and work pieces that are hot and very sharp to hit your kill switch. You will be constantly using the power switch while you work, and if you goof a movement, you'll want to panic stop without putting your body at risk. You really need that switch panel front and center so you can punch it with either hand. I burnt the living chit out of my right hand as the result of a working too fast brain fart stupidly trying to adjust a 3/4 hss lathe bit that was probably about 500 F, and at that second, I was thankful to be able to hit stop with my left hand. It's been months and my phone still doesn't recognize my fingerprint, so consider that.

3360 rpm is better than 2800. I think in the end you will have a cooler but slightly slower grind, so not bad at all.

Your wiring job is sanitary if not downright sexy. I have one criticism that I almost feel bad about calling out, but from the operator's position, you have to reach over and past a live spindle and work pieces that are hot and very sharp to hit your kill switch. You will be constantly using the power switch while you work, and if you goof a movement, you'll want to panic stop without putting your body at risk. You really need that switch panel front and center so you can punch it with either hand. I burnt the living chit out of my right hand as the result of a working too fast brain fart stupidly trying to adjust a 3/4 hss lathe bit that was probably about 500 F, and at that second, I was thankful to be able to hit stop with my left hand. It's been months and my phone still doesn't recognize my fingerprint, so consider that.
OUCH!!!! That's a really good point. I DID think about that and set it up so that I could reach around/under the motor on the left side to kill the motor if necessary. I didn't want to drill any more holes and didn't see a clean place to mount a switch. Function followed form this time. I'm glad you brought it up and I'll think about it again.

I think it would be perfect under the motor and forward, just clear of the infeed handwheel. You'll want the table space around the handwheel as a palm rest.

Another tip, don't mount your machine to the table if crossed your mind. You will really appreciate being able to slide it toward and away as needed. Pivoting the machine around as you change grinds helps keep the work in view. Sit or stand at the bench and move the machine to you so you can see and make the movements as the work dictates.

Back