Need a 1 1/2-8 tap?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
I'm curious if anyone has found a reasonable priced tap to clean up the 1 1/2-8 threads on face plates, chucks, etc. I found the Interstate brand (Chinese) in the Enco catologue for over $105!

I was lucky enough to find a few brand new US made Cleveland Twist brand taper taps in HSS in the factory tube and protective coating. Any idea what they are worth?IMG-20150213-00097.jpgIMG-20150213-00099.jpg

IMG-20150213-00097.jpg IMG-20150213-00099.jpg

do a amazon.com or zoro.com search. my super wholesale cost on a european made one is $79

if its just for clean up, maybe you can make one yourself. . .

I was considering negotiating a deal for them. The guy has 4 or 5 of them. Pretty sure he would sell them cheap. Not sure if anyone here with a Craftsman or Logan would want one.

GI, if you get them, I'll take one. And check whether he has 1"-10. I have an MFA and know that I have at least one part (thread protector, no less) that has a ding in the first thread.

Last edited:
Sure, not sure what I could get one for. He does have a drawer of various large taps. He had a professional machine shop that has been closed down. Apparently he did a lot of deep drilling and tapping jobs. I'll check with him Monday or Tuesday and get a list of the big taps he has left. Anybody else looking for big taps?

Okay, got a hold of him today on the phone. He has:
1 1/8- 8 ( three available)
1 1/2-6 ( two available)
1 1/2-8 (three, but I'm going to buy one)
1 1/2-12 ( one )
1 3/8-12 (two)
1 5/8- 5 1/2 (one)
1 5/8-8 (one)
1 5/16-12 (one)
2 1/8-8 (one)
$20 each regardless of quantity.

Keep in mind that with faceplates and some chuck that a taper tap won't clean to the bottom. I had a faceplate that had thread issues and ended up cutting the tap to be a bottoming tap.

I would also be interested in a 1 1/2-8 tap.

Rob

I put my request in earlier for one of the 1-1/2x8's, although I don't have an immediate need for anything but a 1-10, which he doesn't appear to have.

gi_984, are you going to pick them up and deal with shipping?

On the bottoming issue, it takes a lot of time because if you rush it, you will get the tap too hot. But you can turn a taper into a bottoming. I've done it on several sizes. However, the nature of most of what we might use a 1-1/2x8 tap for the taper will be fine.

Back