Nedd a little help ( Questions)

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
I have a bridgeport series 1 2hp milling machine.

I'm going to build a stand for it this winter. The stand will roll but rest on Jack screws
Questions:

1. What size phonelic wheels and weight rating would you use (or have used)?

2. What size jackscrews would you use?

3. Would you buy wheels where all 4 swivel, or just 2?

A lot depends on your particular circumstances like the condition (smoothness, flatness, cracks) of your slab, how far and how often you want to move it.

If the issue is that you have very limited shop space and you need to tuck the mill out of the way when it's not in use, that's a common issue.

Regardless, I suggest you think about using a pallet jack for transport. Most pallet jacks are rated for 5000 pounds so capacity isn't a problem. Pallet jacks have a long handle so are highly steerable. The pallet jack can be used to move whatever else you have (up to its weight limit). Consider building a riser base (high enough to get a pallet jack under). instead of rolling stand. If the riser makes the mill too high to comfortably use, make simple wooden platforms to stand on while using the mill.

At least 800 pounds per wheel.
At least 6" diameter wheels.
Cast iron or steel wheels rather than phenolic.
At least 3/4" jackscrews.
Swivel castors: it depends. "4 swivel casters" is more maneuverable but requires more muscle to control on a rough or sloping slab.

I agree with Extropic. I mounted heavy duty rubber feet to steel bar to the base on my BP clone. It added stability, though is didn't need it. Now I can easily get under it to move it necessary, but I don't intend to move it until I move. That's a few years away. I don't think I'd like casters on mine, locks or no.

Thanks Gaffer, I intend the wheels to only be used when moving the mill if needed. The rest of the time it will rest on jackscrews as close to my smooth concrete floor as possible.

Getting my winter projects lined up. Where I live I don't get out much due to snow.

Thanks Gaffer, I intend the wheels to only be used when moving the mill if needed. The rest of the time it will rest on jackscrews as close to my smooth concrete floor as possible.

Getting my winter projects lined up. Where I live I don't get out much due to snow.
I bought these for my SB9, and I really like them. I don't know if they would work on your mill, but it sounds like you'd like something like it.

I actually bought a set of those and put them on a barrel rifling machine I bought.

They work well.

Anyone else need ideas here guys.

Attachments

• 20210221_075630.jpg
    20210221_075630.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 22
Back