Nasa-turn Lathe

The owner said it is a mid 90's China made lathe.
Parts if needed are got from Acra in CA.
He says it's tight and accurate.
Bearings are original.
Easily capable of holding .0002 runout.
200 miles from me though.

Embarrassing moment here. I'm also looking at this lathe which is much closer to me.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/5663906177.html
Everything in the above post pertains to this lathe. I just got off the phone with him and thought I was talking to the Nasa-turn guy the whole time.
Anyways, he used it for gunsmithing and said it has been a very good lathe for him that has seen just light use. At $1500 do you guys think this is still a good deal?

I saw that one...if only he delivered

Which one, the up north one?

$1500 is not a bad price with all of the tooling shown provided the rest of it is not worn out. And doesn't look bad neither.
Better jump on it before someone else does.

I bought the lathe. He was unwilling to deal at all. Something I'm not used to but I think it was still a pretty okay deal.
I will pick it up a week from next Monday. There is no owners manual. Does anyone have an idea on getting one?

Looks like there is a carriage oil leak I didn't know about. I have not used the lathe yet. Any suggestions on what I should do? I thought I'd try to drain what might be left in the carriage and try a heavier weight oil. Is there a sealant I could try?

Looks like there is a carriage oil leak I didn't know about. I have not used the lathe yet. Any suggestions on what I should do? I thought I'd try to drain what might be left in the carriage and try a heavier weight oil. Is there a sealant I could try?

Two things could be happening. 1) the apron has been overfilled with oil, 2) you actually have an oil leak. What ever you do, don't put any stop leak or sealant in the oil. You pretty much need to remove the apron, tear down and fix the oil leak. Most lathes I've been around over the years will, do leak oil. I've tried to fix oil leaks and they keep coming back sometimes. Iron castings usually have porosity in them that naturally cause leaks.

Back