Names for chip types?

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
They say Eskimoes have 30 names for snow. They also say that is a myth, and that the term Eskimo is an insult to the multiple nations of natives that live in Alaska, but I don't even know who "they" are, so if you're not confused yet. . .

Do machinist have different names for the various types of chips that get turned under different conditions?

Side milling some 3/4" plate, I'm was getting "hair".
Turning some A36, seeing how deep of a cut I can make, I was rolling off some serious "rope".
Tonight, I was face milling with 12mm round inserts on a four flute 4" mill, and was throwing "bananas".
Milling a 1/2" wide slot, 1/8" deep was giving me "chiclets".

These are name I'm thinking up now that I've put power feeds on various axis of my two machines, and it makes me wonder if there might be names that are already semi-official. Names that would give an indication that a good feed, speed and DOC was being used, vs the "cotton" that I get from taking a very fine cut or the dust that I get from pushing a hole saw through 3/4" of steel plate.

What would you call that curly twists that come out of a hole when a drill bit is chewing the steel real good? Or those chips that individual circles that make one turn before they break?

Light blue corn curls . Tough to get with little lathes .

It’s not Eskimo snow, it’s like italian pasta. I don’t know the names of any of it, and there are names such as ravioli and fettuccine. But it’s all good.

I once saw a chip from a facing cut on a vertical boring mill that was coming off as a kinked spiral so that it came off non rotating, the operator, George Apple, reeled it up, and before we left on swing shift, we stretched it out the whole length of the shop, 350 feet for the day shift to marvel at; the foreman observed that we must have wasted a lot of company time doing that ----

Back