Mystery Tool Please Help

I can't take credit for this one, @rrjohnso2000 hit the nail on the head. I just Googled it and found the picture!

Dang, I'm late on this one. They are cork borers. I have two sets of them from back in the old chemistry lab days. They can be handy for gasket cutting, or even cork boring. I've bored many holes in corks (rubber corks) during my earlier days. Just pulled them out a week ago to use as a paper punch.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I have a set and they work great for punching , spinning out holes in leather. My set are chrome plated brass and the tube ends are sharp as a razor . I like them a few twist and done no pounding or squeezeing .

This is a set of cork boring tools for use with lavatory setups. Labs in yesterday years used cork or rubber stopper. To enable fitment for glass tubes, retorts and condensers. These were generally made from hard brass. Tom Kaye. Rxman

The brass tubes have very sharp ends. If you need a hole in a cork, set it on a piece of wood or similar material, large end down. Take the appropriate sized borer and turn/push it lengthwise thru the cork where you want the hole. When you're through, the borer will be plugged by the cork slug. Use the next smaller size borer, or else the wire from inside the set, to push out the slug. In the case of a rubber stopper, the procedure is about the same, but it helps to lube the borer with glycerine or something similar. Then you can push glass tubing (or whatever) through the hole(s) you've made, put the cork in the neck of your reaction vessel, and proceed with the chemistry.

Back