Mystery Taper

Green Frog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an arbor that came with some assorted stuff with my Atlas MFC and I can't identify the taper on it. It's definitely not the #2 MT I need, but it's enough bigger that I might be able to turn it down to #2 specs. The size is about 0.85" diameter on the cylindrical shaft, a 0.75" X 12(?) tpi external thread and the flare at the collar opens up to about 1" in 0.5" of fast taper. The collar is about 2" in diameter. My Google-Fu may not be working tonight but I can't find anything that even comes close. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Froggie

OOPS! I thought I included one. It looks kinda R8-ish, but outside threads??

:frog:

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

Never seen that one before.

So it's not a real common one that everybody ought to know??? It reminded me of R8, but then I thought about the male threads, and that honkin' big collar with the square notches looked out of place. The arbor portion is nominal 1" diameter about 12" long with the keyway from collar to threads. Large LH threads and a very short nose section to engage the outboard support.

Looks like a Van Norman 5. On first glance they often get confused with R8.
Want to sell her?

Daryl
MN

Looks like a Van Norman 5. On first glance they often get confused with R8.
Want to sell her?

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

If you think you could use "her" I could be persuaded to sell. I've been taking measurements to cut it down to a 6" arbor with a #2 MT for my Atlas MFC, but I've got a possible source for that unit to be made up new, so it would be a shame to "waste" this if it's usable as is. Send me a message to my inbox if you want to discuss more thoroughly.

Last edited:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! It's a Van Norman #5. Now that I know what to look for, it's easy! Dayrl, if you (or another member) are interested in it in its current configuration, I'll keep it off the lathe. Send me that message and we'll work out something fair for all concerned.

Last edited:
Back