Mystery Part... At least for me.

caroni

Registered
Registered
Hello Forum,

This is my first post and I hope that my question is in the right place. I own a South Bend Model A lathe. when I acquired it years ago it came with several useful attachments. I have discerned the purpose of all of them except this one. It is quite possible that it does not even go with the lathe but it is painted in the same color as some of the other accessory components. So, I am hoping that someone here can clue me in as to what this is for.

Thanking you in advance,

Davidlathe part? 1.jpglathe part? 2.jpglathe part? 3.jpglathe part? 4.jpg

lathe part? 1.jpg lathe part? 2.jpg lathe part? 3.jpg lathe part? 4.jpg

Caroni,
I can t help you on the answer to what it is, but I can welcome you to the group and tell you that some one who is smarter than I will come along shortly and identify the mystery part for all of us. So welcome to the site, and hope you find all that you are looking for and don't forget lots of pics. We love em and never seem to get enough. And any question is fair game, there is no such thing as a dumb question or a dumb member. We all had to start somewhere and we all have progressed at varying degrees since then so don't hesitate to ask any question anytime.

Bob

Looks like a clamp to fit the bed at the back side where it is flat. I don't however know what attaches to it.

"Billy G"

Could be something as simple as a clamp for a machine light. Also could be some sort of stop.

Chuck

Possibly a taper attachment clamp?

On the old Atlas machines, there was a clamp-like setup on the back of head that clamped to the ways and if I remember properly, it held the bracket for the side door hinge. Could be something along those lines.

Ray

Looks like a clamp to fit the bed at the back side where it is flat. I don't however know what attaches to it.

"Billy G"

Hello Forum,

This is my first post and I hope that my question is in the right place. I own a South Bend Model A lathe. when I acquired it years ago it came with several useful attachments. I have discerned the purpose of all of them except this one. It is quite possible that it does not even go with the lathe but it is painted in the same color as some of the other accessory components. So, I am hoping that someone here can clue me in as to what this is for.

Thanking you in advance,

DavidView attachment 59299View attachment 59300View attachment 59301View attachment 59302

Not sure either. With that key-way slot it could be a production fixture. By using a key to locate the fixture and toe clamps to secure it to a mill table I can see it as a light production. I mean "light" in that no heavy cutting of material. Nice find, someone took good care of it. Usually old tooling is really rusted and/or frozen from lack of use. You may be surprised what new uses you can come up with. Good luck

We don't really know how large it is(not that that would help much!)

It's not part of a taper attachment, but it does look like it clamps to the back of the bed.

I think I would send a message to Steve (?) at http://www.wswells.com/ and ask him

Caroni,
I can t help you on the answer to what it is, but I can welcome you to the group and tell you that some one who is smarter than I will come along shortly and identify the mystery part for all of us. So welcome to the site, and hope you find all that you are looking for and don't forget lots of pics. We love em and never seem to get enough. And any question is fair game, there is no such thing as a dumb question or a dumb member. We all had to start somewhere and we all have progressed at varying degrees since then so don't hesitate to ask any question anytime.

Bob

Tough to be sure with a ruler or dollar bill for scale, but it looks like the rest and miter gauge table for a 6" belt stationary belt sander.

Steve J.
Portland, OR

Back