Mystery Attachment Identification - help, please.

d4xycrq

Active User
Registered
Folks,

Got a mystery part that came in a box-o-bits. I've looked online - but be darned if I can find out what it goes to. The one clue I have is the box-o-bits had a lot of Hardinge and Monarch items. Have a look.

Believe this would have originally been grey, rather than the blue. As for scale, the critter will fit in the palm of your hand. The clamp/lug on the base is 1/2". Seems very well made, suggesting not made in China. Fasteners are SAE, not metric. Only marking is the numbers "30" on the base.

LatheMysteryPart011_zpsb5e1a1e3.jpg

LatheMysteryPart003_zps0a0fe8a9.jpg

LatheMysteryPart012_zps559755d4.jpg

LatheMysteryPart009_zpsf9c4d93a.jpg

LatheMysteryPart010_zps754d43b9.jpg

Many thanks!

Ray

It could be the tailstock off a small indexing set that had its own cast iron base to run on. I had such a set by Brown & Sharpe years ago. It had a simple indexing plate,and tailstock,and would do about 12" between centers.

Excellent, clue, George. I'm off searching for more clues based on that one!

Ray

It could be the tailstock off a small indexing set that had its own cast iron base to run on. I had such a set by Brown & Sharpe years ago. It had a simple indexing plate,and tailstock,and would do about 12" between centers.

Could be off of an J & L comparator. Far as that goes, any comparator.

Is the quill spring loaded by chance? The rear being a bigger diameter makes me think it could be. If it is it could be a tail-stock of a centering machine. You know where you would put a shaft or test bar in between centers to check the roundness or TIR. The original owner maybe bought the Hardinge without a tail-stock and he started collecting until he bought the right one. I have a barn full of deals like that I bought at auctions for that project I was always going to start and didn't...ha ha Rich

4GSR - the shop did have a comparator. Good suggestion!

Richard - not spring loaded. Previous owner would have bought the machine new - with every option possible! So doubt it was a random part.

Thanks for the clues, folks - am Googling against this new input.

George's clue turned up dividing heads/indexing sets - and indeed this could very well be a "footstock" from one of those. By the way, the boss on the bottom is far too small for my Bridgeport table T-Slot(s).

Ray

Looks like an adjustable stop for the long axis on your lathe. That way you would turn to a repeatable shoulder every time. Just thinking out loud...

Bob

My guess on that would be the movable center on a Bench centers. They are usually spring loaded but that one adjusts with a rack and pinion. My 2 cents.

"Billy G"

with the blue color it may have fit the engraver table???

An adjustable stop would not have a pointed end,but rather a flat end.

Back