Myford Tooling

Sasquatch

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks
I didn't see a Myford specific forum so I will ask my question here. I am absolutely new to lathes and their workings and am learning by trial and error. I have a Myford ML7 with the two sided quick change tool post. I recently bought a set of King tooling in 3/8 inch. The problem is I cannot seem to get the cutting edge low enough to meet the center and cut properly. A quarter inch tool that came with the lathe works well. I assumed that since the tool holder fit the 3/8 tools so nicely that they would work. Have I made a rookie mistake and bought the wrong size tooling or is there a way to get the cutting edge down low enough so that they will work. I have adjusted the tools down as low as I could on the tool post. I have faith in the vast amounts of knowledge here.
Thanks

I'm going to make a couple a wild guesses here, the quick change tool post that you purchased is two big for your lathe. If that is the 7 inch lathe than the axa would be the correct size and quarter inch cutters would be the correct size. Some pictures would be nice

I'm going to make a couple a wild guesses here, the quick change tool post that you purchased is two big for your lathe. If that is the 7 inch lathe than the axa would be the correct size and quarter inch cutters would be the correct size. Some pictures would be nice

OK I only have one pic right now. Hope this helps. I can get more tomorrow if needed.

PHOTOS 004.jpg

if the 1/4" bit worked, and your 3/8" bits aren't carbide tipped--then just grind the top front down (approx 1/4")till you get to center height and they will work fine----Dave

Do you really need to use 3/8" tooling,or do you just have a bunch on hand? I use mostly 1/4" tooling on my Hardinge HLVH. I do a lot of work requiring special form tools to be made,and just find the 1/4" tooling easier to grind into fancy shapes. I could use 3/8",but don't find them necessary for the type of work I do.

I have a 16" lathe for larger work,but like the HLVH better for handiness,height,and level of finish it will give.

The tooling I bought is 3/8 and carbide tipped. I may be able to return them. I was hoping to use them but it doesn't sound good. I will post some more pics this afternoon and see if anyone has ideas.

You can get 1/4" carbide tooling. I can tell you that a small lathe cannot use carbide to its capacity. Further,it is not as sharp as HSS can get. You cannot grind it to make special shapes,of which I have made dozens. The only time I use it is when I need to machine something hardened. Carbide isn't made for that purpose,but it works. It's good for extended cuts on cast iron. Other than those uses,I just use HSS even on my Hardinge HLVH.

By the way,those carbide tipped bits aren't really ready to use as received. They need to be honed with fine diamonds. You CAN use them,but your lathe motor is under more strain. With a Myford,I'd stay with HSS. You also strain every other part in the drive train,such as the lead screw,bearings,gears,etc.. HSS is easier on your light lathe. Everyone seems to think carbide is magic. It isn't. It should be run at such a high speed that the chips turn brown,and in a lathe that can stand it.

I figured out the problem. The center post on the quick change was bent. Took it apart and pressed it mostly straight and the 3/8 tools work well now. Another lesson in the live and learn system.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I had found the Myford site but I will check out the lathe.co one when I get a chance. Thanks for the info.

Back