My wife and I caught the bug- Yeah, that one

Last Tuesday my wife woke up with a scratchy throat. Throughout the day she started coughing and just feeling punky.
Wednesday morning I joined in.
No fever, just low energy and a tight chest- cough and scratchy throat.
She did the home test= positive for Covid.

We were hoping to avoid this thing. We have had all four boosters so hopefully this darn bug won’t hang around long.
Her doctor said to call if she tested positive. I guess there is some prescription that is supposed to help. She is picking it up in a few minutes.
I’m going to start it as she is feeling much better. I guess it couldn’t hurt?
Jeff,
We've avoided it to date, but tempting fate with a cross-country flight yesterday, a wedding tomorrow, and Thanksgiving. With both of us having the bi-valent booster, we are to the point of erring on the reward-side of risk-reward.

Hope you both feel better soon!
Evan

Paxlovid is the antiviral
Anybody had this?
Nope, but friends have. It definitely helps with the symptoms, but it's fairly (~50%) common to have symptoms (and positive test results) a few days after finishing the course of Paxlovid. All in all it seems to be a very good thing.

Get well Jeff (and Mrs. Jeff)!

I hear such differing stories about it; some that tested positive but felt okay to the opposite that kept testing negative but should likely have been in hospital.

I am fully vaccinated. Twice I've spent a week at home with symptoms, but always tested negative, and no one in the house had any symptoms.
I have no idea if I've had it or not, one friend says "you'd know if you did" since it hit his household hard.

I just got my flu vaccine today, hoping to do some visits for christmas.

Brian

I am still trying to figure why people are so afraid of this.
I have had it twice, very mild symptoms both time, loss of smell 1st, loss of smell and taste 2nd.
Lost 28lb after the 2nd time.

I have had, only thing really bad was I got it a week after surgery. Three, four days and no ill effects lingered.

On a side note, I take an immuno-suppressant drug three times a week, and still not a big deal for me. YMMBD.

I would not say I'm afraid. Everyone in my household would survive even a very fierce cold just fine.

However, these are the facts:
1) my in-laws are currently going thru cancer treatments; one patient, one support. They can go to those appointments together if they are both negative for COVID and symptoms. If that changes, then the treatment gets much more difficult and inconvenient. We are supporting them with meals, driving, driveway clearing, whatever they need. I will NOT be responsible for making them sick.

2) hospitals in our area are overwhelmed. Especially the children's hospitals. The Children Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) had to perform emergency breathing resuscitation on seven children in the past week alone:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cheo-second-pediatric-icu-surge-cases-1.6646324
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...d-and-caucus-called-out-for-not-wearing-masks
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/cheo-expe...cases-to-continue-another-4-6-weeks-1.6158826
I will NOT be responsible for passing something on!

3) I want to visit my 84 year old Dad this christmas. I will NOT be responsible for making him sick.

Okay so not afraid for me.... but perhaps for others......

Brian

Last edited:
I have had it twice, very mild symptoms both time, loss of smell 1st, loss of smell and taste 2nd.
Lost 28lb after the 2nd time.
I think I’m more concerned with long Covid.

Back