My well died ...

Spent a lot of time on that mountain through my early 50's. Then spent most of the next 20 winters in the Caribbean. Was getting pretty crowded toward the end, and couldn't really ski the way I like ( fast ) without getting your pass pulled. Still like to do cross country out in the toolies. Have seen as cold as -56 here, but doesn't get nearly that cold anymore, or for as long. Mike

Steamboat is a great place. The coldest I’ve ever been, -35F, and the best day skiing, were there at Mt. Werner. It was the same day.

What an interesting post, Mike! I thought I had tenacity but have to award that to you now.:frown: Congratulations
on your fine achievement! :encourage:

I live in North East Florida My well is a free-flowing, or artisan well 4-inch casing. With no pump, my water pressure is normally about 25 PSI. I have no idea the depth, we purchased the property 22 years ago. I do have a pump on the well to boost the pressure to 40/50. We have a second well with a 1 1/2 inch casing it is free-flowing but has a strong sulfur smell we use it for yard and garden. I am blessed

The second well is only 6 feet away from the 4 inch "good well" Interesting Huh!

Mike,
Very interesting project! You have a beautiful place there.
Those old Ford 700 series backhoes are real workhorses.
I bet you saved a bundle doing this yourself!
Cheers
Martin

The second well is only 6 feet away from the 4 inch "good well" Interesting Huh!
Yes, here the well is 80’. if you go 75 or 85 you get sulphur. When drilling a well you need someone familiar with your area. Also using a drill rig you can drill thru the good water really fast. The guy here who has been doing it for 50 years uses pile driver type rig. Much slower and more expensive, but he gets good water.
Cheers
Martin

We had a well drilled on our 11+ acres in the Virginia City ,NV. area, maybe 12 or so years ago and it was about $14K and 378' deep ( 6" casing) and it was at 6000' elevation. I'm sure those fees would be a bunch more now! Bunch of granite!

Last edited:
Back