My V Block is Too Small

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title suggests, I have a V block that is too small for the steel round bar I have. The V block is less than 0.8" at the maximum and the round bar is 2" in diameter. I want to place the round rod vertically in my mill vice to end bore it. Can I use this?

The only downside I can anticipate is that there will be deep lines where the "points" of the V block touch the round rod.

Thanks!

It's less than ideal, but yes. I have done the same. Deep lines? probably not. Expect some marring, but I don't expect them to be deep unless you gronk down on it.

I have used two 1-2-3 blocks bolted together.

PM me. I have Vee blocks of various sizes. [edit] OOPS! way too long distance for a loan. Buy a inexpensive offshore vee block set. They are great for this!

Last edited:
Is this strong enough?
It should be for the intended purpose. I made special studs for the Asian blocks with 3/8-16 threads for one end and 5/16-18 for the other. Pieces of 5/16" All-thread would work too.

A length of heavy angle iron will work as well Square the end up on the mill first. For a more permanent Q & D, weld some tabs on the angle for clamping to the table. I have also used an angle plate with a block fastened to it to form the V. Many ways to skin this cat.

not sure how 123 create a v block? I know you can screw them together to form a V, but you are looking for a flat on the backside to hold it from moving. So how does screwing them together work?

not sure how 123 create a v block? I know you can screw them together to form a V, but you are looking for a flat on the backside to hold it from moving. So how does screwing them together work?
never mind, I get it... use the V block and put the screwed 123 into the V...
yea.. I'm slow.. Sorry I get it, and Quick and Dirty... again... I'm slow o_O

Back