My sphere / atlas type lathe main bearings dirt covers

Round in circles

Active User
Registered
I'm finding that as I've become a bit more proficient with my sphere that after two or so hours of continued use when the head stock bearings have warmed the casing the bearing dirt deflector caps are loose.
In a couple of instances the gear train end one has come free and whizzed round on the empty gear. It is the cap /deflector to mid rh side the picture jus below the yellow oil can above the bearing cap .

Have any of you made forms on their lathe and hydraulically pressed their own from home made big flat thin galvanized steel plate washers , or have any of you found a different solution?

IMG_5515_zps2e9ffadb.jpg

IMG_5515_zps2e9ffadb.jpg

IMG_5515_zps2e9ffadb.jpg

IMG_5515_zps2e9ffadb.jpg

Last edited:
I have dimpled castings to make a more friction fit. A little dab of silicone sealer can help as well.
Pierre

Thanks Pierre,

Someone has already slit the skirt of both shields in a couple of places & eased it out a tad and also at some time " pimple " punched the side walls to raise the profile .

I think the silicone may be the temporary solution , till I get the metal to make the forms for making new shields .
I had hoped someone had made theirs and kept the dimensions of the forms or if they had turned new shields the dimensions they used . One thing for sure it's going to be quite a precise fit .

Back