xyz

Registered
Registered
This thread is about my PM-1640TL also known as TL-1640 which I received in August, 2021. I had placed the order at PrecisionMatthews.com only weeks earlier. It was ordered with DRO and the taper unit installed.

I was posting to the thread "PM-1660TL" which was started by @erikmannie in June, 2020. He was kind enough to ignore that I was posting about a TL-1640 on a PM-1660TL thread. Another member kindly suggested that I start a tread. Now that I look at the title of @erikmannie 's thread, it is indeed titled "PM-1660TL". So, this thread is the result of following that suggestion.

Try searching for how to start a thread on a site devoted to machining: lot of interesting threads that will be helpful when my lathe is finally operational. In the end, it is quite easy to start a thread here, unlike on some other sites.

So, the machine arrived on a flat bed truck with a fork lift and I took delivery in front of the garage, on the parking pad. After uncrating, initial cleaning, and moving it to its location in the garage. Only a little more cleaning was required. Most of the cleaning was done outside. It had been planned that way because I didn't know what toxic fluids would be finally required. There are many suggestions on the internet. As it turns out, the machine was coated with an easily removable sealant. Nothing nastier than WD-40 was required in most places.

The machine survived it's journey with no visible mishaps. There were only very minor dings, hardly noticeable, really, but of course, I had to touch up the dings before it was moved to its planned location.

I tried every control that I could as an initial check.

The markings on the apron on how to engage the power feed for carriage drive or cross feed drive is counter intuitive, to me anyway. It's bass-ackwards. I'll confirm this after the machine is powered up.

The threading dial indicator, when it is disengaged from the lead screw, interferes with the power and direction handle when the handle is raised.

The cross slide hand wheel was very stiff, requiring both hands to turn it. I followed many suggestions from members here, and the hand wheel became much freer. But I did have to get assistance from Precision Matthews. I was prepared to hold for hours or play phone tag, as when I have to interact with one of my banks. But within minutes I was talking to a real person. He said he knew my problem from my postings here on Hobby-Machinist. He suggested that I look at the mounting of the taper unit to the back of the carriage. It may have shifted during transit. It was good advice and now I have a cross slide hand wheel that can be turned by one hand, and more importantly, I feel comfortable that I can apply power to the cross slide.

My garage floor slopes a bit and it required a half inch shim at the tail stock end for it to be leveled. All six feet are sitting on a single concrete slab. The goal of leveling is to take out the twist in the bed. The trick to leveling is to use a high grade machinist level that has a calibration or fine adjustment for itself and follow the level manufacturer's instructions on how to use the level. Then plan on iterating the leveling many times. After all, there are six feet and they all interact to twist the bed. During my final iteration, a very small turn of the adjusting bolt of about 10 degrees made a noticeable difference in the bubble. Ten degrees is about a minute and a half on the face of a mechanical watch. The rounded end of the adjusting bolt sits in a dimple of a cast iron (I am guessing) disk. The disk itself has four protruding portions that interfaces with the concrete. I am betting that after the machine vibrates, in days or in weeks, there will be settling and the machine twist will have to be adjusted again.

Now the machine looks almost like PM's advertisement photo, including even the impossible to read directions of the threading dial from a standing position.

1630321694613.jpeg

I am at a point now of integrating the Hitachi WJ200-075LF which was also purchased form Precision Matthews with the PM-1640TL. I posted my understanding of the electrical aspects of the lathe, using the supplied electrical diagrams. My main concern is to preserve the safety circuits of the original lathe. My goal is to make as few modifications as possible and if wires are removed from the circuit, to leave them in place or near the original locations so that all can be undone by some other person at a later time.

I posted several observations about the safety circuits at the thread "PM-1660TL" and was about to post some conclusions there. Thereafter, postings about my PM-1640TL TL-1640 will continue in this thread.

As I was working through all the gears on the TL-1640, PM-1640TL, I was reminded of when I learned to drive a stick shift. I was taught to double clutch. I didn't know how that worked, really, but it avoided that awful grinding noise. I imagined that releasing the clutch in neutral told the gear box some magical instructions. Then the clutch peddle was pushed down again before the gear handle was moved to the next gear.

The lathe manufacturer must have had a lot of torn up gears from users shifting under power for them to have a warning plaque on the front panel.

I found the gear box to be really tight, which is a good thing, I think. It is much easier to put the head stock in neutral, change speeds, and then put the gear box in low, med, or high. All this is done manually not under power, not using the jog.

It will be important to know that the gears are in full mesh before a 5 horse power motor is applied.

So, how do you know that the gears are in mesh, other than it feels good.

I think you will find it is pretty easy to tell when the gears are engaged. They are either fully engaged or fully disengaged, they don’t hang out half way in my experience. The slight movement with your hand on the Chuck is for alignment and then then they will mesh nicely. They don’t have synchros like a manual transmission in a car. When engaging the gear box, you will know when fully engaged when the feed rod or lead screw turn when turning the headstock. If you ever turn the lathe on when something is not engaged you should not get grinding, you just won’t get the desired action. Let the motor stop completely and engage the gears and power on again.

I think you will find the feed on the apron quite intuitive when you start machining and nothing backwards about it. The apron has a quick change gearbox unlike many other lathes. This allows you to change feed direction while under power, quite a nice feature.

When you disengage the thread chasing dial it only needs to come down far enough to disengage the gear and when you tighten it there it will not interfere with powering the lathe. As for reading it standing up. The only part you. We’d to read standing is there dial which you can quite clearly. The table on the side you check when setting up your thread and it is in a good place to save you having to pull out the manual.

I hope that helps, I think you will find it is a really nice lathe to operate when you get it powered up.

Congratulations on getting your new machine up and going. Your methodical approach should serve well as you become more familiar with the machine and processes.

My only comment is about installing the VFD. There’s really no good reason to leave abandoned wires in place for an imagined future owner who wants to restore it to factory condition. Just document your work and label things appropriately. The factory wiring diagram can be kept along with your documentation and that should be sufficient for you or anyone else in the future, extra wires would probably just create confusion.

@mksj is the go to source for all things VFD on here as you’ve probably figured out.

And…..

Pictures:grin:

Your bottom panel-gear box, is laid out exactly like my 1970's Clausing Colchester 15X50. When I first got the lathe I couldn't get the thread feed to work. Same thing, one of the paddles was just not clicked in all the way. Once you get the hang of it, piece of cake.

I think you will find it is pretty easy to tell when the gears are engaged. They are either fully engaged or fully disengaged, they don’t hang out half way in my experience. The slight movement with your hand on the Chuck is for alignment and then then they will mesh nicely. They don’t have synchros like a manual transmission in a car. When engaging the gear box, you will know when fully engaged when the feed rod or lead screw turn when turning the headstock. If you ever turn the lathe on when something is not engaged you should not get grinding, you just won’t get the desired action. Let the motor stop completely and engage the gears and power on again.

I think you will find the feed on the apron quite intuitive when you start machining and nothing backwards about it. The apron has a quick change gearbox unlike many other lathes. This allows you to change feed direction while under power, quite a nice feature.

When you disengage the thread chasing dial it only needs to come down far enough to disengage the gear and when you tighten it there it will not interfere with powering the lathe. As for reading it standing up. The only part you. We’d to read standing is there dial which you can quite clearly. The table on the side you check when setting up your thread and it is in a good place to save you having to pull out the manual.

I hope that helps, I think you will find it is a really nice lathe to operate when you get it powered up.
Thanks for the encouragement. Overall, it has been a positive experience. Power next.

I have the same gearbox, everything is a bit stiff to start out. When changing the headstock speeds there is usually a detente feel when the gear level clicks into place. The key is to turn or rock the spindle/chuck manually when changing gears so they smoothly engage. When changing the feed/thread gearbox gears the same applies and you must also have the gear train engaged so typically the gear level is in L. It also takes a bit more spindle movement and it there is a distinct feel when the gears engage. I always use the VFD jog (6Hz) to verify that everything is engaged after I change any of the gears. Once you get the hang of it all it very straight forward as others have mentioned. The momentary Jog, just verifies everything without spinning everything up to speed. The universal gearbox is a real dream to use if you do a lot of different threading and switch between metric/imperial threading which I do quite a bit.

Your bottom panel-gear box, is laid out exactly like my 1970's Clausing Colchester 15X50. When I first got the lathe I couldn't get the thread feed to work. Same thing, one of the paddles was just not clicked in all the way. Once you get the hang of it, piece of cake.
Thanks. I guess I only used old beat up lathes, where the gearing was sloppy. A new machine is a rewarding experience: no one else has had a chance to mess it up. It will be only me!
I have the same gearbox, everything is a bit stiff to start out. When changing the headstock speeds there is usually a detente feel when the gear level clicks into place. The key is to turn or rock the spindle/chuck manually when changing gears so they smoothly engage. When changing the feed/thread gearbox gears the same applies and you must also have the gear train engaged so typically the gear level is in L. It also takes a bit more spindle movement and it there is a distinct feel when the gears engage. I always use the VFD jog (6Hz) to verify that everything is engaged after I change any of the gears. Once you get the hang of it all it very straight forward as others have mentioned. The momentary Jog, just verifies everything without spinning everything up to speed. The universal gearbox is a real dream to use if you do a lot of different threading and switch between metric/imperial threading which I do quite a bit.
Thank you for VFD 6Hz, etc.

I have a circuit modification drawn out, but I am rereading the Hitachi documents to see what I missed, if any:
"Sizing Three-Phase Inverters for Use with a Single-Phase Supply",​
"WJ200 Quick Start​
"WJ200 Series Inverter Quick Reference Guide​
"WJ200 Series Inverter Instruction Manual​
and of course various documents that you and others have posted on the internet.​

TL-1640 is a dream come true. And I haven't powered it up yet. It's literally a dream come true. I've been looking at PM machines for about 10 years. And, when playing cards my mind would wander thinking about one lathe or another. Last month I decided to wait no longer. Too many uncertainties.

Another shop essential has been planned for: a shop cat. I hate field mice, but we also have pack rats that destroy engine wiring. I don't need no mice feeding on the lathe wiring.

When reviewing Hitachi "WJ200 Series Inverter Quick Reference Guide", on page 91, (it's also in "WJ200 Series Inverter Instruction Manual". I see a diagram of how to provide for a an interrupting device utilizing EDM output to reconfirm both safety inputs GS1 and GS2.

They use G9SX-GS226-T15-RC. It's listed for $600+, and on ebay its advertised for $400. Yikes.

1630386244982.png

If the goal is to signal via GS1 and GS2 when the emergency button is pressed, there is a way to do so with out the use of G9SX-GS226-T15-RC, that is, by using the emergency button on the lathe and routing the signals through unused relay contacts.

That will be included on the modified diagram to be posted soon.

Attachments

• 1630386511068.png
    1630386511068.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 111
My Hitachi downloaded manual is missing Section 5, but I found this page online having to do with braking resistor values.

See the entry for WJ200-075LF, below: The minimum resistance is 17 ohms, which results in a four fold increase in braking torque. Good thing there are two 35 ohm resistors on order. They were the lowest valued resistors available from within USA.

1630395659461.png

1630395509972.png

Back