My new-old Versamill

jhuston

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Wednesday afternoon, I decided to stop by a used tool store not far from the shop on a lark. I was just about to leave when I saw a metal box full of shop-made tooling and aluminum shavings with a balanced crank sticking out. The owner, Dan, asked me if I had any idea what it was ( he had gotten it in a package deal with some other items). I'm not sure where I've ever seen or heard tell of a Versa mill, but I knew that's what it started life as. He offered it for 25.00, and I snatched it up, figuring that even if it was completely trashed, someone could use the parts. Into the truck it went.
I excavated everything from the beach ball-sized snarl of swarf, and found out that while the motor and pulleys were long gone, there were two versa grinder heads, the inside grinder, and the high-speed milling head, as well as a piece I believe is intended to drive the universal head. The whole shooting match was seized solid, even the gearbox; it was obvious the Versa mill had been sitting a long time, and the box may have been a graveyard of parts to keep other units running.

I couldn't stand it, so I pulled the machine down, put everything in the vinegar bath, and flushed the living daylights out of the gearbox with mineral spirits until it came out clean. Once it was derusted, I decided to kill the last bit of Rustoleum satin black in the can- that way, it will match my lathe, if nothing else.

I have the heads pulled down, and none of them have any serious issues except for being unused for years, possibly decades. I found a piece of heavy walled tubing to make a motor mount and will have to scrounge around and find a piece of plate for the motor ( currently a 1/3hp Westinghouse, at least until I see how much oomph I actually need), then we'll see what develops. I think my machine is an early one because there's no provision for a drawbar, so it may not have had reverse ( I wonder if they used left and right-hand endmills- seems to me a milling head that only can run one way has a lot of limitations. There is no tag anywhere on the machine, but I'm thinking it's an original Master era Versa mill.

50515109522_032967199a_c.jpg

I'll need to sort out a means to mount it to the carriage of my Mulliner Enlund- there's no way I'm cantilevering two-ton Tessie here off of the compound. Eventually, I may make up a mount for a small motor to do undercutting, as this would make one heck of a rigid setup for cutting the mica once an armature has been turned; I repair a lot of repulsion induction motors.

Does anyone know what size the various steps on the original pulleys were? I know what speed the motor would have been, but not what rpm the tooling moves at.

Thanks,
-James Huston

Nice, we need a before picture....

John

There was an online auction here about 7 or so years back. Had only what is in your pic, and called it a milling machine. I studied the pic for quite some time, and could not figure it out. IIRC, it went for over $100. I figured somebody knew what it was. Until now, I did not even have a name to associate to it. Now it makes more sense. Good luck, looks like you have a great foundation to build off of. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

As I have long coveted one but doubt that even if there are any here I would be able to afford IF I ever get time I would like to make one. The ease of milling threads alone makes it worthwhile.
Here is an excerpt from an Army-Navy training manual:

Attachments

• Versamill.pdf
    582.5 KB · Views: 30
If all you had was a lathe and the VeraMill, it would be wonderful, but with a lathe and a mill and a toolpost grinder, it becomes less wonderful; I agree that the thread milling capability is an attractive feature.

I used to have the pulley key cutting attachment with three different width cutters.
The drive end of the crankshaft had the same taper as your milling head.
Sold it several years ago on ebay and conversed a bit with the guy who bought the company and continued to manufacture parts and equipment for these. He's a regular on Practical Machinist but I can't think of his name due to creeping oldtimers disease.

I have the complete unit with nearly all the accessories, can measure the pulleys.
That would be greatly appreciated. The three attachments I have ( actually, I have four, but one's a duplicate Versa grinder attachment) all have their respective pulleys, but the main gearbox and the motor pulley are not accounted for, and I'm not seeing a lot of information on speeds.
Do the grinders use a v-belt on a flat pulley? there's a bit of crown on the two step pulleys for both the versa grinder and the inside grinder, but I haven't been able to determine what belt they use ( presumably, the motor pulley doesn't get changed).
-James Huston

The grinder attachments take thin high speed flat rubber belts, the same as tool post grinders use. The parts list has 6 belts listed: H32-1 through 6, mine came with 6 belts, 3 each of 5/8 X 34 3/4" and 5/8 X 36", marked only with Gates Truflex and the size, with no part numbers. The parts list does not call out lengths for the various belt part numbers listed.
The pulley sizes are: The pulleys take a 3/8" wide vee belt

Motor pulley

Gearbox pulley

benmychree, that is extremely helpful; I'll start looking through my step pulleys today!
-James Huston

Back