My New Gas Drive Welder

I have had an HF trailer, Extending the tongue 18 to 24 inches makes it tow a lot better.
Putting a piece of garden hose on the rear spring mounts gets rid of a lot of noise.
Take the hubs off, clean out the bearings and grease the wheel bearings, the factory puts something in there they call grease but it is no good.

Watch for tire wear, some of these HF trailers do not have proper to in and will eat tires fast. It is actually pretty easy to bend the axle to get things straight, or just make a new one with bearings spindles and hubs that are available in the USA.

For backing up the longer tongue also helps that. Getting some markers up high enough that you can see them also helps a lot.

Check the adjustments on the coupler carefully, Many people have had to add some washers between the coupler and the tongue or the bolts will clamp it down to where it will not go on or off the ball properly. I also added some spacers inside the tongue to keep the bolts from collapsing it.

I wanted the shortest trailer possible, I’ve hauled a similar company owned unit around, for years. If I wanted a longer trailer, I would have bought a bigger trailer. I wanted a trailer, just large enough to hold the welder.

I got the trailer lights wired today and tested. Now all I need is the accessory whip from the service van’s factory trailer package wiring plug to the plug assembly for the hitch.

Today, I painted the trailer deck, with some well used 5W-30, giving it a nice light Walnut hue.

5810AE72-1886-4ECB-BD95-21B5F87986E3.jpeg

I finished up the welding trailer/welder today,

1 - welded all four corners of the trailer
2 - mounted the folding/jacking wheel assembly to trailer tongue
3 - mounted the spare tire on the custom under deck tire bracket I made
4 - finished up the tire lock/anti-theft device

So the only thing I’m missing is the ballistic nylon cover for the welder, it will be here next weekB6070EA4-1063-4EF3-A3BD-672EE9AD1277.jpegCDF293D2-2D7A-4634-A5F4-6F5F93D861AF.jpegDB900DA8-DD24-4C77-94D6-E56813437FAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have sent photos and an email to the NYS DMV, seeking clarification if I need to license the trailer, or as it’s undersized and welder specific, if it’s insured, is it okay to run as is, should hear back by Tuesday.

Last edited:
Back