My New Gas Drive Welder

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My latest project that is not work related. I bought a new Lincoln Ranger 260 MPX, gas drive welder with a 10,000 watt generator. That lead to a Harbor Freight trailer (#62665), which lead to me doing some work with the “W” substance, which then lead to a new trailer hitch on the van. It was an expensive week.

On Friday, Norm and I pick up the welder, checked 4 Harbor Freights for a trailer, then bought one. Half way through the assembly, I found out the spring shackles were missing, they (HF) at first told me I had to order them from parts, I said I was returning the trailer, it then dawned on them, they had already done the DMV paperwork, which meant the returned trailer was basically junk, they somehow found the shackles.

The trailer decking was a chore, I hate the “W” substance, so I was almost violently sick from the start of the job to the finish. On Sunday, Norm and I mounted the welder on the trailer, installed the trailer hitch on the service van, then made the virgin travel to the gas station to fill the welder’s gas tank, the brought it home, roughly a 3 mile trip, all went well.

Backing up the trailer is going to be a chore, its very short, you can not see in in the van mirrors and the back up camera is a joke. It will be a steep learning curve.

1 - the welder
2 - the welder
3 - the stand
4 - the stand74EE052B-0B59-4359-BC0B-5BB535660365.jpegA80DCDE6-4484-4080-938E-2B606D27C4A3.jpeg03A5ACC6-CE98-483C-97B4-1E5F813DFC53.jpeg19ACDB84-E187-4122-AA76-067039776A29.jpeg090D5DDC-0D8D-411B-8346-7B9EF4472440.jpeg
5 - the hitch on the van

That's a great welder, and nice setup! I don't know how many hours you plan to run a month/year, but if there's any way you can manage it, I'd recommend running ethanol-free gasoline in it. I run clean gas in all my small engines...they start easier, idle smoother and no worries storing them with fuel in them. Adding stabilizers to ethanol gas helps, but not as much as totally avoiding the stuff!

If you put some tubing angled on the sides of the trailer then put markers in then for backing up it will let you see where the trailer is.

Like your welder set up. We use a similar one that's blue on the farm. Moving it around with the forklift is getting old . That's for the inspiration .

that short wheel base is going to be a PITA for backing. Even with some sort of markers to see the trailer.

That's a great welder, and nice setup! I don't know how many hours you plan to run a month/year, but if there's any way you can manage it, I'd recommend running ethanol-free gasoline in it. I run clean gas in all my small engines...they start easier, idle smoother and no worries storing them with fuel in them. Adding stabilizers to ethanol gas helps, but not as much as totally avoiding the stuff!

I would agree on the choice of gas. I use non-ethanol gas in all my engines under 50 hp. As mentioned they start easier, run better, and they don't gum up when in storage. When all the gas stations switched to ethanol blends it was a nightmare keeping small engines running. At the time I had upwards of 20 mowers, trimmers, tractors, chipper shredders, snow blowers, etc., etc. I was cleaning gas tanks, carburetors, and replacing fuel lines on a regular basis. It got so bad I was buying several size fuel lines by the 50 foot spool.

When the non ethanol "recreational" gas was reintroduced things changed dramatically. At first it was reintroduced in premium grade only. Even at or over $5.00 per gallon it was less expensive and less time consuming than overhauling a dozen carburetors every year. More recently a regular grade is available at many of the local gas stations. It's still slightly more expensive than non ethanol of the same grade, but well worth the money. Now cleaning carburetors and replacing lines is more of a rarity.

My latest project that is not work related. I bought a new Lincoln Ranger 260 MPX, gas drive welder with a 10,000 watt generator. That lead to a Harbor Freight trailer (#62665), which lead to me doing some work with the “W” substance, which then lead to a new trailer hitch on the van. It was an expensive week.

On Friday, Norm and I pick up the welder, checked 4 Harbor Freights for a trailer, then bought one. Half way through the assembly, I found out the spring shackles were missing, they (HF) at first told me I had to order them from parts, I said I was returning the trailer, it then dawned on them, they had already done the DMV paperwork, which meant the returned trailer was basically junk, they somehow found the shackles.

"The trailer decking was a chore, I hate the “W” substance, so I was almost violently sick from the start of the job to the finish."
I have an older three phase Miller welder I've been workingon getting set up .
I have the phase converter built and am stick welding like a champ with it .
Now I'd like to get it set up for tig Welding as well and have run into a problem .
The remote amperage control and contactor are on separate three prong twist lock plugs . Sure I can spend big bucks and buy a pedal from Miller that will plug right in , but spending enough money that would buy a brand new working welder on just a pedal doesn't make much sense to me .
So I'd like to lose the two twist locks and convert to something a bit more easy and cheaper to get a pedal to work
Any suggestions?

Zydeco - underappreciated in my opinion. Bruce Daigrepont, along with Chenier and (the late) Buckwheat. Daigrepont has a great website.

Three of the greatest 60's Rock albums: Blind Faith, Super Session, and The Doors - We wore the grooves out of that vinyl. Thank goodness foe re-creations.

But I'm not biased in any way.

OK, sounds weird I know.

I have a steel speedometer gear I need to secure on a shaft inside an automatic transmission. I can machine it for a light press fit and in the instructions say use a piece of aluminum tubing and a soft hammer totap it on, but in the real world a customer will use steel tubing and their splitting maul to install it.

The problem is that if they hit it too hard they will damage the transmission. The output shaft uses a snap ring inside the transmission case to stop forward movement of the clutch drum and they will break the groove in the case and pretty much scrap the trans.

I've thought about possibly drilling the edge of the steel gear at a 45 degree angle and using set screws to lock it, but they will have to be pretty small screws. I'm not sure if a locking compound will work considering the inside temp of the trans could reach 200 degrees.

Any thoughts or ideas you have will be appreciated.

Gee's...

To spatter means to scatter small particles of a substance. A spatter is the pattern of drops that result from spattering. To splatter means to scatter large particles of a substance. A splatter is the pattern of drops that result from splattering.

Guess I better be very careful if I post anything again...

I know, it's horrible. I am thinking I might have to wear a sweater in the shop tomorrow.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, but I haven't been in Brooklyn Park that long. Moved here about 17 years ago after I retired from being a social work bureaucrat for the State of Michigan. BP is the largest of the Minneapolis suburbs. Where Jesse Ventura got his start in politics as mayor of Brooklyn Park. Was that a plus or minus for Brooklyn Park?
Keep on making metal sawdust.

Sometimes I long arc on a 7018 restrike because I have a hard time with the restart. The long arcing is between where I struck the rod & heading over to where I want to start the bead. Would I solve this by just keeping a short arc as I travel over to where I want to start working?

I don’t have much of a problem with 7018 restarts once the weldment is warmed up.

I suppose it anybody with any sense would PLAN a bead that would allow the use of a whole rod, or, if not, take a second to prep the tip of the partially used rod.

I made some adjustments. My machine is down to 96A. I also switched to a higher quality hood (from a Miller Classic to a Digital Infinity which did provide a better view).

This photo is a cap. That is my best tie-in so far. I see that I failed to weld to the perimeter at one point. I have a 0-10° pull angle for the weave as I do on all my 7018 welding. I am really trying my best to strike where allowed and always hold a very tight arc.

My dad came over and watched me, and he said that the hot spatter (110A, 220V) travels no further than 2-3’.

I was also able to undo my garage door handle so that I can open it a whole extra foot! This is the time to be thinking about good ventilation.

View attachment 357985

Edit: I see undercut. Must turn down the machine.

The trailer decking was a chore, I hate the “W” substance, so I was almost violently sick from the start of the job to the finish. On Sunday, Norm and I mounted the welder on the trailer, installed the trailer hitch on the service van, then made the virgin travel to the gas station to fill the welder’s gas tank, the brought it home, roughly a 3 mile trip, all went well.

Backing up the trailer is going to be a chore, its very short, you can not see in in the van mirrors and the back up camera is a joke. It will be a steep learning curve.

1 - the welder
2 - the welder
3 - the stand
4 - the standView attachment 365531View attachment 365532View attachment 365533View attachment 365534View attachment 365535
5 - the hitch on the van
Ok, I'll bite, what's the "W" substance?
On Sunday, Norm and I mounted the welder on the trailer, installed the trailer hitch on the service van, then made the virgin travel to the gas station to fill the welder’s gas tank, the brought it home, roughly a 3 mile trip, all went well.

1 - the welder
2 - the welder
3 - the stand
4 - the standView attachment 365531View attachment 365532View attachment 365533View attachment 365534View attachment 365535
5 - the hitch on the van

1 - the welder
2 - the welder
3 - the stand
5 - the hitch on the van

Back