My new G4003G

Progress report. Got the lathe on the stands and in place, spindle break-in done, quick TRI check of 3 jaw chuck on a printer rod about 2" out is .0005. Tomorrow is the leveling with a borrowed Starrett Master Precision level #199 That should have me chasing my tail. Am I correct in assuming the the tool post holder is a BXA? My tool holders for the old Atlas must be AXA as they are series 100 and don't fit the Grizzly. So then the G4003G would use the 200 series?

Correct.

QCTP.jpgQuestion: My handle for the QCTP is positioned right over the dovetail making it impossible to use one side of the tool post. Do you have any fixes other than unscrew the handle, insert tool holder, then screw handle back in?

QCTP.jpg

I had the same problem with my QC tool post. You can unscrew the top with the acme thread and keep restarting the thread until you get the handle in the proper position

I have a G4003g, and you are correct. BXA size QC tool post

I had the same issue with the QC tool post handle. I drilled and tapped a new 12mm hole 90 degrees to the right. Worked great for me

Did your lathe come with cast iron stands? Or welded steel?

On mine the QCTP piston extends and retracts every 180 degree rotation of the handle. Take the holder out and try rotating the handle to the opposite side?

How do you like your machine so far? It's looking like I may pull the trigger on one of these after the holidays. Unless Griz puts some new wiz-bang offering in next years catalog.

How do you like your machine so far? It's looking like I may pull the trigger on one of these after the holidays.

Just a note: prices tend to jump on Jan 1. Grizzly keeps there prices constant through-out the year to match their print catalog, and than implement any price increases when the new catalog is issued. I can guarantee that the price will not go down, although it is possible it will stay the same...

Who knows, maybe we will see a Christmas coupon event. They haven't done things like that in the past, but a 10% coupon came out (the first I have ever seen) during the summer, and maybe they will do that again. I know they have a 5% veterans coupon right now; don't know if that does you any good.

How do you like your machine so far? It's looking like I may pull the trigger on one of these after the holidays. Unless Griz puts some new wiz-bang offering in next years catalog.

But Bill what if they are sold out after the holidays and there's a 3 month back order on them? I would get your order in asap. Yes...its possible that I'm evil! lol

Back