[How-To] My Millport dilema

Screen Guy

Registered
Registered
It's been a few years, but I'm back and trying to set up a Millport 3HP turret mill I bought at auction. I have a ways to go, but my first problem is getting the head back up. When I moved the machine I could not get the truck I wanted, so the riggers tilted the head down and to one side to get clearance. I watched what they did, loosen the four bolts on the head then turn another bolt with a 3/4 socket. Now I'm trying to reverse the process and I cannot get the bolt that tilts the head to engage. First picture is the front, second is the bolt that drives the head tilt. Anyone ever encounter this or know a work around? As you can see I applied pressure with a bottle jack to try and re-engage whatever had come undone. Most grateful for any ideas or experiences. If this is not the correct forum, I apologize.

Attachments

• Millport.jpg
    Millport.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Millport2.jpg
    Millport2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm sure others much more knowledgeable will jump in but I think there was something in the Bridgeport manual about not using the rack and pinion to do all the work rotating if over maybe 20 degrees. Mine was tipped much past that when I got it as well. If you loosen the 4 bolts and push up on the head to take some of the load off then turn the bolt driving the rack and pinion it should go better. If it doesn't catch at all you may need to lift further to get it started.

Are you able to pull on the head tilting "bolt"? I am wondering if the pin that holds the worm the the shaft broke. If it comes all the way out, it's broken. The other thing could be broken teeth on the worm gear.

I would suggest you get an engine hoist and some straps. Tie up the head real good and put some pressure on the hoist, then remove the 4 front facing nuts. Then back up the hoist to get the head completely off. You'll be able to see the worm gear and likely diagnose your issue.

Are you able to pull on the head tilting "bolt"? I am wondering if the pin that holds the worm the the shaft broke. If it comes all the way out, it's broken. The other thing could be broken teeth on the worm gear.

I would suggest you get an engine hoist and some straps. Tie up the head real good and put some pressure on the hoist, then remove the 4 front facing nuts. Then back up the hoist to get the head completely off. You'll be able to see the worm gear and likely diagnose your issue.
I kinda feared that would be the answer. Thank you. This thing is so top heavy I fear turning that head loose, but then, as my old boss assured me, "God hates a coward":concerned:

If you use some lifting straps, you'll be OK. Just wrap a couple of them all the way around so it has a good grip on the head, even if it does tilt over more (good chance it will) the straps have it secure. The good news is, many of these import machines are Bridgeport clones and use Bridgeport parts. They are all easily available from High Quality Tools in Euclid.

I'm up in Mentor. If you want some help with this some weekend, shoot me an email greg@mylilmule.us and we can exchange numbers.

If you use some lifting straps, you'll be OK. Just wrap a couple of them all the way around so it has a good grip on the head, even if it does tilt over more (good chance it will) the straps have it secure. The good news is, many of these import machines are Bridgeport clones and use Bridgeport parts. They are all easily available from High Quality Tools in Euclid.

I'm up in Mentor. If you want some help with this some weekend, shoot me an email greg@mylilmule.us and we can exchange numbers.
Thanks MyLilMule. I may take you up on that offer at some point.

I cannot get the bolt that tilts the head to engage.
You say the bolt doesn't engage, but does this bolt just spin, or can you not turn it?

If it just spins there is something broken in there.

If you cannot get it to turn, you may just need to unweight the head while you turn the bolt. I've always been able to unweight the head with one hand and turn the bolt with the other. Once the head is above the 45 degree mark it gets easier.

On my BP clone there is a pin that has something to do with tilt lock(can't remember where I put the manual)20220319_111512.jpg

Back